The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 A few trials 
Site Admin

Post A few trials
Over the last few years I/we have been trialing a few tenders out over winter today I had a check round to see what is what.

Orthrosanthus multiflorus has been out 5 years now and flowers profusely remaining evergreen.
We first spotted this growing on the banks at Tresco and bought one bulked it up and planted the spare out and now they are both growing just fine outside highly recommended by us.

Semele androgyne is on its first winter but it is now growing and for the most parts the older leaves are still quite green this I expected to die fairly quickly being a Canaries endemic plant it has an interesting flowering habit.....go on click on the link you know you want to! :lol:

Our Ochavia carnea are looking fine the covered one is just starting to flower the one without protection looking quite well

Jovellana violocea I would not be without but its very difficult to propagate another recommended.
These pictures of mine, below, are from last summer it is still evergreen at the moment and where its placed it has no winter sun for nearly 3 months but is very well drained.

Bletilla ochracea has survived 2 winters and though it threatened flowers last year it has yet to show....maybe this year.

Beschoneria albiflora, pic below, not sure that was such a clever idea notice the plant under the palms has less damage!

Pachystegia insignis I could not keep alive for love nor money in my greenhouse so planted it out probably 3 years ago now...pic below!

I will let you know in spring what happened here it is Dioon spinosulum :shock:

I have also tried a 4ft stick of Sonchus fruticosus, its not looking good, the stem is mush but never say never. :roll:
It did look quite good

Iochroma cyanea has proven to be root hardy for us it grows to about 6ft high in one season and flowers quite well considering it has to start from ground level each year.
This has been planted under our Musa basjoo at the back door so quite a decent micro climate....the spare is flowering down my celler at the moment.

Its a shame to leave on dead stuff so how about a nice leaf instead Trachycarpus manipur

Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Post Re: A few trials
Looking good, I'd not bother trying half of those down here! Of the plants you mention, I've thoroughly killed Beschorneria albiflora (no overhead cover, not that it would have helped), and Jovellana violacea I'd be surprised to see again. J. punctata was obliterated earlier - 3 plants in various positions. A Daphne gnidium I tracked down having seed the fantastic specimen at Oxford Botanic Garden doing a good impression of some SA Proteaceae is also now a black twig. Echium wildpretii is also gone, which I think would have been averted with the sheet of Perspex which I had intended to put over it - those hairy leaves just stay soggy for too long in the cold. Funny to think that last winter, before planting out, I was watering it in January as it kept wilting under a rain cover!

On the positive side (though it's a bit early to say yet!), a Luzuragia radicans seems unperturbed by the cold (we had -7 as a low with a week of subzero nights, most of the garden gets no sun until March so doesn't defrost under these conditions). Chamaedorea radicalis look fine, 2 of 3 seedlings of the caulescent form are fine too, one without overhead cover has lost its leaves but may still live. Passiflora x exoniensis is still alive despite an unexpected -4 night (it was against a wall).

Time will tell on the succulents (and cacti especially). Think Aloe mutabilis isn't going to make it though.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:16 pm

Hi Kev... surprised to see damage on your Beschorneria Albiflora although they do look young plants. Mine with a trunk has been left out for the last two Winters albeit still in a pot Min temp was -7C. It still looks in good condition. I guess being close to the house it may not have got so low. here's a pic

I am finding Ochogavia carnea quite hardy here but flowers take for ages to disappear. Greigia Sphacelata next to it has had its first winter out and appears happy

The Jovellana looks a really nice plant and I must try and get one this year. :D

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:25 pm

I thought I had some success with a Jovellana cutting. It remained green for months after the others had withered. However, when I tried repotting it there wasn't a single root! I'm wondering if they can be divided just like we do with clumps of perennial plants because mine seem to be forming mini thickets which look like a brave slice from a spade between them could be the answer.

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Jovellana are easy from seed, but I don't know if they're self fertile and/or whether they need help in pollination. From the flowers I can't see why they wouldn't be pollinated by our native insects.

Andy, good too see you've not lost the Araliad addiction... What can I see in that pic - S. taiwaniana and a friend? My Schefflera kornasii has some damage to at least one growing tip, maybe due to a late flush, and has a general stressed look still but not from cold - possibly some nutrient or wants a bit more shade. Fatsia polycarpa, a young plant, looks fine - newest leaf is black but looks fine compared to a F. japonica which is probably a similar age but about ten times the size - top half of the stem is dead on that as it never stopped growing to harden off.

Amazing the difference position can make - my Beschorneria albiflora was in the open and was reduced to a soggy white mess long before we even got to -7 (I assume we had similar weather -I'm only 30 miles away after all). Meanwhile the potted Avocado is clinging on in the most sheltered position between two water butts and a house wall - though no sun at all in winter. Even the spider plant in the pot is still green, and I find they are one of the first plants to go to frost in the open garden (though rarely killed outright unfortunately).

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:45 pm

AlexW wrote:
Jovellana are easy from seed, but I don't know if they're self fertile and/or whether they need help in pollination. From the flowers I can't see why they wouldn't be pollinated by our native insects.

Andy, good too see you've not lost the Araliad addiction... What can I see in that pic - S. taiwaniana and a friend? My Schefflera kornasii has some damage to at least one growing tip, maybe due to a late flush, and has a general stressed look still but not from cold - possibly some nutrient or wants a bit more shade. Fatsia polycarpa, a young plant, looks fine - newest leaf is black but looks fine compared to a F. japonica which is probably a similar age but about ten times the size - top half of the stem is dead on that as it never stopped growing to harden off.

Amazing the difference position can make - my Beschorneria albiflora was in the open and was reduced to a soggy white mess long before we even got to -7 (I assume we had similar weather -I'm only 30 miles away after all). Meanwhile the potted Avocado is clinging on in the most sheltered position between two water butts and a house wall - though no sun at all in winter. Even the spider plant in the pot is still green, and I find they are one of the first plants to go to frost in the open garden (though rarely killed outright unfortunately).

Alex... yes still have Schefflera and I am preparing an area at the bottom of my garden to plant them this year. Currently have four species planted out... gracilis x taiwaniana, pauciflora, taiwaniana and alpina.. the last two struggling to thrive under a large Arbutus unedo. The taiwaniana in the pic looks to be a nice plant and multi branching au naturel (BSWJ3788) from Crug.
All my Beschornerias planted out look in perfect condition and hopefully some flowers again this year. Looking at Kev's two albiflora species the one on the right looks to have a small wooden trunk and shows much less damage.. so maybe this species becomes hardier with age. Last year my albiflora had more stress with purple reddish leaves despite a much milder winter but with more wind and rain. A similar experience I have had with Pinus patula, no leaf damage this winter but considerable browning of leaves the previous winter. BTW Fatsia japonica "annelise" looks awful in its first winter here with the yellow turning to black in the leaf. :(

Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:53 pm

Kev Spence wrote:
I have also tried a 4ft stick of Sonchus fruticosus, its not looking good, the stem is mush but never say never.

It usually shoots from the base again unless the rootstock was frozen right through OR the plant was old and woody.

I can sell you a replacement at Tregrehan!!

Chad.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Yes - mine came back from underground every year until 2010, which was a freeze too far. It actually flowered once following a mild winter.

I have a Sonchus acaulis planted out that I grew from seed I collected in Tenerife a few years ago that hasn't made up its mind how it wants to grow. The first few years it grew all year round. Last year it lost its leaves in summer, sprouted in autumn and has now been frosted back. Be interesting to see what it does in spring as there was quite a lump underground.

Still not tried the S. canariensis, Chad. Maybe I'll plant it somewhere this year.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Paul,

S. canariensis took a couple of degrees of frost in the tunnel and didn't defoliate.

Outside in a milder [almost frost free] winter it was battered by gales and looked dead by mid autumn.

It was.

Chad.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Great looking plants Kev. I enjoy reading about plants which thrive when they weren't supposed to 8)

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]