The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Nepenthes alata outdoors in the bay area? We will find out. 

Post Re: Nepenthes alata outdoors in the bay area? We will find o
SilverShaded wrote:
Nice one Stan, I wish i could overwinter a few outside here but theres no chance of that. Maybe down in the warmest parts of cornwall it might just be possible, with the right hybrid.

Im guesing your day temperatures are reasonable in winter?

We are solidly in the 15 C range as highs Mark in the Dec-Jan shortest days. Right now,I'm sorting out what is what after the worst winter in 4 or 5 years. It was the sheer number of dark cloudy days with all the wet that caused so much rot and damage. Not the ultimate lows that were only one single freeze.
10b plants really hated the near 9b winter effects.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:36 pm

I guess in total I have seen arround 35 Nepenthes species in their natural habitat. Both lowland and highland species. For San Francisco I would chose an higland species. Nepenthes tobaica should be an option.

Charles Clarke has written several good books on Nepenthes species in their natural habitats. Look at: Natural history publications.

Alexander

Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:48 pm

One big questioned that was answered also Alexander was "Will they grow pitchers in a non humid mild summer climate?" They do. It took from May- September for mine to adapt from the greenhouse it was raised in by the grower. THEN, in late summer with new foliage growing out- there they were- new pitchers.
I have my doubts they can equal hot house grown pitchers in size and color..but as of right now,they look good. A second summer outdoors will tell ultimate size.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2