The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Which Washingtonia? 

Post Which Washingtonia?
I have a Washingtonia palm planted out now for approx 4 years totally unprotected, has taken umpteen nights of frost in that time but no lower than minus 3c, usually only minus 1/2c and only half a dozen times a winter. It now stands about 6ft tall with about 18inches of trunk but I've no idea which Washingtonia it is. Is there an obvious difference betwwen the two or are they so similar I'll never know?.

Chris

Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Post Re: Which Washingtonia?
Robusta :
The petioles ( leafstems ) of robusta are toothed (thorny) and brown
The bottom base of the leaf blade is bright coloured
Is compact
Leaves are very stiff, cotton threads fall off with age
Trunk is slight swollen at the base

Filifera:
Petioles are green and thornless
crown are open arrangement
Cotton threads on leave edges persist with age
Leaflets are swinging and quitte flexible compared to robusta
Trunk is barrel shaped

The most distinctive differences are the thorns on the petioles and the habit. Filifera is much wider especially 6 and 8 year old specimen.

Filibusta ( robusta X filifera ) are very variable and can take both appearances.

Cold hardiness with robusta is a about -8C , any colder and they either lose all leaves or die. I had specimens that survived -10C as long it warms up during the day. I have seen older specimen survive -12C unprotected with some leaf burn, with protection they survived colder temperatures ( these were very old specimen with huge trunks). Prolonged frost coupled with high humidity pretty much kills all washies. Most people prefer robusta because it has better resistance against moisture and fungi but filifera gets very cold hardy with age.

Just protect them when it gets very cold with plastic sheets, burlap warp around the trunk and maybe some christmas lights. As long the trunk is alive and no water sits in the crown they will leaf out when it gets warmer. Great palm to grow against a southern wall.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:08 pm
Post Re: Which Washingtonia?
Pure Robusta also have shinier/greener leaves whereas Filifera are
more matte or flat looking in regard to glossiness and not as vibrant green.

The hybrids between the 2 and Robusta have a purplish
color at the base whereas Filifera are more brown.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]