The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Cyathea Brownii 

Post Cyathea Brownii
I rang a nursery in Somerset on Monday I know stocks a few Cyathea tree ferns but usually very expensive but wondered if they had a small brownii for under £50 as I know they've had them in the past. Whilst on the 'phone to me he checked his stock and said he had two small trunked plants at £40 each but wanted to keep one and would sell me the other. Full of glee I made the hour drive up the M5 today to purchase this small trunked Cyathea brownii for the princely sum of £40 and promptly made the purchase and took it back home.

When I arrived home I thought I would repot it in a larger tub because the one it was in was very small as were the fronds it was producing. When I took it out of its small pot what greeted me was something of a shock..the rootball had been sawn in half..where was the other half I thought, then it suddenly occurred to me the other half was in the pot with the other brownii he wanted to keep.

What had obviously happened was when I rang him if he had any Brownii's he looked for one amongst his other stock and only found one but it was a double headed specimen so he promptly sawed it in half, put trunks plus half a root ball in separate pots and sold me one of them but failed to tell me this. Slightly misleading one might say and I feel slightly conned as I'm not sure if this will now survive and also the fact that he didn't tell me what he had done.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:49 pm

Post Re: Cyathea Brownii
That is really cheesy. Where is the nursery?

It should be OK so long as the trunk of the fern is not damaged. I have a medullaris that I need to do this to bur keep putting it off for fear of harming it. I've seen quite a few double trunked cyathea divided though and they have been fine.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Yes I have heard of Cyathea being divided as well with success so fingers crossed.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Why not just grow the even hardier C.cooperi? My C.brownii needs to be dug up and potted. Its just cannot compete with the tree its planted under. TF's as they get trunk get near exponential in water needs. It grew fine for years- nice wide crown. Looks terrible right now.
C.cooperii is much faster growing also.Less water needy.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:57 pm

Yes I have a couple of Cooperi and they are fast growing and will plant one out this spring. I have one bulky C. brownie planted out in the garden with about a foot of trunk which has only been wrapped up on frosty nights and seems ok to start again as soon as the weather warms up a bit. This was its first winter left in the ground after spending the last 3 years in a massive tub and very pleased to have got it through its first winter unscathed.

This other C. brownii I recently bought has been potted on into a bigger pot and is in cool greenhouse doing very well with 3/4 croziers unfurling so being chopped in half from its joined-at-the-hip twin brother does seem to have bothered it at all.

I have about a dozen different Cyathea in my collection now as well as several Blechnums and a couple of Cibotiums and a Cyathea Fenicis with about 4ins of trunk has just been planted out and will of course require protecting on frosty nights.

Chris

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]