The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Medium Evergreen Tree - Advice Needed! 

Post Re: Medium Evergreen Tree - Advice Needed!
Eucalyptus neglecta
Eucalyptus parviflora
Both are smaller and slower growing ( especially the second ). You can coppice them when older. Eucalyptus Pulverulenta is less hardy but is very ornamental . Very sparse foliage, even when it's large it will let through alot of light. All are easily grown from seed and fast growing for a tree .

There are other options. Elaeagnus cultivars which are evergreen and highly ornamental for example ''Elaeagnus × ebbingei ‘Gilt Edge’'' .

Mahonia x media ‘winter sun’
mahonia x media ‘winter sun’ ( more red colours )
Both highly ornamental, winter flowering and carry berries through spring.

Cupressus macrocarpa ''goldcrest'' which have very nice lime colour and new growth is orange tinged. In cold winters it may change colour to yellow/orange. this cultivar is also smaller than the non-cultivar species.
Buddleja globulus can be decidious in really cold winters but usually stay evergreen.

Nandina domestica
Cold hardy anise shrubs like illicium henyri, floridanum
Cold hardy Callistemon like viridiflorus, subulatus, sieberi or the most cold hardy pityoides.
Leptospermum
Pittosporum heterophyllum, Pittosporum tobira, Pittosporum sahnianum, Pittosporum illicioides v. angustifolium (most ornamental)
Cold hardy nerium oleander cultivars like hardy pink or hardy yellow , those can withstand -12C after a few years in the ground.
Choisya ternata or other Choisya species
Viburnums some species are evergreen and can tolerate full sun. Some ''viburnum tinus'' cultivars can withstand sunny areas.
Trachycarpus subspecies
Pinus and pinea cultivars which stay small for example rockery cultivars
Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Chubby' ( height in 10 years = 3 metres )
Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Little Lace'
Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Little Giant'
Some smaller clumping bamboo species like fargesia rufa , fargesia species in general
like other mensioned Loquat is a good one but can lose leaves in a cold winter with high winds

Chilopsis linearis is one of my favourites , its a desert tree which can withstand around -12C. Hard to get , probably need to grow em from seed.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:13 pm

Loquat and Daphniphyllum sound great, but are perhaps not the best choice for a windy spot.

I suggest some others, how about an evergreen oak?
Quercus myrsinifolia and Q. hypoleucoides are both rather small and cast not too much shade. Q x atlantica is evergreen too as opposed to literature and has beautifully glossy willow like foliage!

Hard to come by, but worth getting is Magnolia virginiana var. australis 'Aiken County', which is bomb proof evergreen as opposed to the type and has beautifully silvery undersides to the leaves, plus as a nice bonus, small lemony scented flowers.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:59 am

Lodewijkp wrote:

Thank you for the many suggestions. The Eucalyptus's sound great but I fear that they won't stop once they've reached the required height. I know neglecta can get a bit carried away, given enough time. They definitely fit the criteria in terms of not casting too dense of a shadow.

I like the Illiciums but would they not get burned up in full sun?

Steven wrote:
Loquat and Daphniphyllum sound great, but are perhaps not the best choice for a windy spot.

I suggest some others, how about an evergreen oak?
Quercus myrsinifolia and Q. hypoleucoides are both rather small and cast not too much shade. Q x atlantica is evergreen too as opposed to literature and has beautifully glossy willow like foliage!

Hard to come by, but worth getting is Magnolia virginiana var. australis 'Aiken County', which is bomb proof evergreen as opposed to the type and has beautifully silvery undersides to the leaves, plus as a nice bonus, small lemony scented flowers.

That Magnolia looks absolutely perfect Steven! The right shape and sounds amazing. Do you have any idea where one might get one in Europe? You weren't kidding about them being hard to come by! :(

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Adam,
I got mine from Gottschalk near Frankfurt (lunaplant.de http://www.lunaplant.de/magnolien-von-a ... -2017.html), but I'm quite sure you could get one in the Netherlands, too.

One added bonus of these evergreen Magnolias is that they can be kept small by pruning quite easily.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:56 pm

Unfortunately Steven I wasn't able to find one that I could afford to ship at the moment, but I'm hoping they can become more available with time. If some UK nurseries start offering it I will be sure to pick one up in the future!

In the end I had a really helpful chat with Nick at Pan Global Plants and we went for the Azara microphylla 'Variegata'. We also discussed the Nothofagus cunninghamii but decided the Azara should work well. Although I must admit I still would like to try the Nothofagus because they do look amazing, albeit a little bit too big!

Anyway, the Azara arrived yesterday and will be going in the ground as soon as the soil dries a bit from last night's rain.

Many thanks again for all the replies and advice, and also to Nick at PGP.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Magnolia grandiflora Brackens Brown Beauty, very coldhardy and freeflowering! i have one overhere.

Alexander

Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:41 am

Good choice, Adam!

I grow the type, which has become a tree of 4m after 5 years only, being planted as a 30+ cm toddler from a 1l pot!
Currently it's scenting the whole garden with its chocolate perfume and the bark isn't bad either. Just lovely!

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:07 am

To my nose it is purest vanilla.

www.panglobalplants.com

Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:52 pm
Profile WWW

And to me it's milk chocolate, an identical scent to my Clematis montana var. wilsonii!?
I always knew, that english cuisine is different, but should it really be that different? :wink:

But anyway, the light airy foliage is to die for.

Btw, we passed the 20°C mark yesterday, spring has sprung!

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:19 am

Steven wrote:
Good choice, Adam!

I grow the type, which has become a tree of 4m after 5 years only, being planted as a 30+ cm toddler from a 1l pot!
Currently it's scenting the whole garden with its chocolate perfume and the bark isn't bad either. Just lovely!

Thanks Steven!

Do they flower from a young age then? I've read one or two things online about the variegata not flowering as much but that could obviously just be their own plants so it's hardly a conclusive study. I've also heard that the variegated version is quote, 'extremely slow growing', but then I have Trochodendrons, and they make Quercus seem like Bamboo.

There is no doubting that the variegated foliage is magnificent though, although it's still in it's pot at the minute, it's next to the dark leaves of a viburnum tinus and so the contrast is huge! The type seems to be an amazing plant too though! Both are so nice that it was hard to choose. I guess it depends on what it's being planted with.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:40 pm

They flower very young Adam as they are all grown from cuttings and are adult already. Either form flowers equally heavily in my experience and 'Variegata', though variegated, still grows very fast. I planted a 'Variegata' some 19/20 years ago and it took off at speed.

Below the pic on my website of a young 'Variegata' covered in flowers. Beware the rubbish written all over the internet!

www.panglobalplants.com

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2