The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Moving a newly planted shrub 

Post Moving a newly planted shrub
Hi all, so a few weeks back in mid February I planted a Sycoparrotia semidecidua in my parents' garden. I planted it a bit below the lawn level so the next day I dug it up, added some top soil and planted again. Bit of mulch on top, mychorizal fungi inside. Job well done.

Except not, because it's about 20ft away from the place it was wanted to be :shock:

I got my wires crossed obviously.

Now the shrub itself is doing well and has loads of new green leaves unfolding and lots of happy fresh new growth.

So my question is, when is the best time to then move it to the other spot?

Does moving a plant as it's unfurling new leaves harm the plant? Is it better to wait until it has it's leaves fully out? Do I now have to wait until September or so to do it?

It's such a beautiful little shrub I want to minimize damage to it if possible. Thanks for any advice!

Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:36 am

Post Re: Moving a newly planted shrub
I doubt it's had chance to establish itself so move it now

Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:04 pm

I move shrubs around all the time and shrubs a d small trees are mainly what I grow. I am not precious about when and I have never lost one. I just make sure I get as big a rootball as possible. It has been such a mild winter and so warm recently the soil is not cold so I too would move it. With the warmth to come I am sure it will quickly reestablish.

Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:26 pm

I agree, move it as soon as you can, before it establishes new roots. It might sulk a bit but keep an eye on the watering and it should be fine. I'll be moving Camellia plants here in a week or two once they stop flowering.

Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]