The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Yucca Id 

Post Yucca Id
Can anyone help I'd this yucca I think it's Yucca gloriosa variegated . Also anyone know why one of the heads is more variegated than the rest. Someone thinks its yucca jewel ,what's you guys thoughts please

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:12 pm

Post Re: Yucca Id
It's Yucca 'Jewel' - the trunk is a giveaway of its Y. giantea (elephantipes) heritage. I'm not sure if it's definitely pure gigantea or not, but most reports say it's significantly less hardy than the green form of that. You'll probably get away with it in your location, given a sheltered position.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:30 pm

'Someone' is right - Yucca 'Jewel'. A cultivar of Yucca elephantipes, which we should really call Yucca gigantea. Slightly more tender than the plain one, which means anything much below -6C will disfigure the leaves and much below -8C might kill it. Some might say that would be a blessing as the variegation is not to everyone's liking.

Edit - snap!

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks Alex and Paul much appreciated I will find it a nice pot so I can move it in over winter

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:52 pm

As a keen Yuccaphile I have this plant. What I can say about it is that it does not like excess moisture and cold including mild frost. Stems can easily rot without noticing especially with the dead leaves still attached. On one stem when I cleared old dead leaves off I found half of the stem had gone and around the damaged area lots of roots. My latest leaves have fungal spores but this year for me anyway has been a bad year for fungus.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]