The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Bowdens Ferns 

Post Bowdens Ferns
Hi,

Has anyone ordered from Bowdens Ferns?
They are expensive, but do have some unusual types.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:26 am

Post Re: Bowdens Ferns
What sort you looking for?

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:26 pm

ArtV wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone ordered from Bowdens Ferns?
They are expensive, but do have some unusual types.

Yes, I've ordered from them. Found them very efficient and professional.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:51 pm

benbaron wrote:
What sort you looking for?

Various Blechnums

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:32 am

Bowdens is an interesting company. They started off years ago just selling hostas but over the past few years bought out a couple of large bamboo nurseries (PW Plants and Jungle Giants) and also fern nurseries (World of Ferns aka Rickards Hardy Ferns) keeping on the owners as consultants. I'm told the head honcho doesn't actually know anything much about plants. Planning for world domination, I reckon. Or England, at least.

Also worth mentioning that taxonomists have finally got their claws into Blechnum and split it into several new genera with instantly forgettable names: http://ebps.org.uk/new-classification-blechnum/

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 am

Paul Spracklin wrote:

Also worth mentioning that taxonomists have finally got their claws into Blechnum and split it into several new genera with instantly forgettable names: http://ebps.org.uk/new-classification-blechnum/

I'm sure those are going to be real winners in the horticultural world. Lucky thing that most people won't care. Taxonomists have been doing the same thing in the orchid world, for example, sinking most species of Laelia and all Sophronitis into genus Cattleya. That is a real pain for folks trying to sort out intergeneric hybrids, rendering many hybrid nothogenera obsolete or very complicated. Luckily ferns don't hybridize readily!

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:21 am
Profile WWW

Yup, taxonomists been doing this sort of thing for a while
Aloe has been split, as has Haworthia. And I see the African Acacias are supposed to be called Senegalia :roll:

I sent Bowdens an email query and they were quick to respond.
Will prob get a few ferns from them.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:31 am

Recently paid a visit to Bowdens and found that they don't have as much available as their website suggests. I suggest you give them a ring to see if they actually have in stock what you are after before ordering online. Also yes they are expensive, particularly Cyathea when the have them, on their website they have for sale a Cyathea Medullaris in a 30ltr pot for sale at £375 so when I had a look at this at this fern for sale on my visit I was expecting a nice big tree fern but it actually only has about 3/4 inches of trunk. I had no intentions of buying, just curious of what nearly 400 bucks will get you and apparently not much!. I dread to think how much it would cost me to replace my own medullaris which has 18 inches of trunk.

Trunked specimens of Cyathea are extremely expensive everywhere, Kelways nursery had a 3ft trunked C. australis for sale at £2500, needless to say its still there but no longer on the website but then again the guy at Kelways who deals with the tree ferns is also a collector and hates parting with them which would partially explain the prices.

chris

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:39 am

Beware incorrect labelling. Something that can come hand in hand with nurseries that aren't owned by diligent plantsmen.

Keep an eye on my website, as one day this spring I will actually update it. I have a very good range of interesting/rare ferns this year, which will become apparent. Either that or just call in and find out.

www.panglobalplants.com

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:26 pm
Profile WWW

We've visited Bowdens a few years ago.
Good range of ferns, and some nice not-so-often-seen thingies as well, priced,.....but if you want something special,.... ;)

Kind regards,
Remko.

Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:44 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]