The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 3:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Established Queen Palm In Christchurch, New Zealand! 

Post Re: Established Queen Palm In Christchurch, New Zealand!
Quote:
As I said in my travelogue, Christchurch struck me as a city that is just catching up to what they can actually grow - to some degree at least!

Thanks David, where can i view your travelogue?

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:15 am

davidmdzn7 wrote:

Christchurch struck me as a city that is just catching up to what they can actually grow - to some degree at least!

This is universally true of all NZ outside the gardens of a few collectors and enthusiasts! It is partly due to colonial heritage ex-UK, but I believe has more to do with the fact that we are the 'cold' southern landmass in a region dominated by much warmer Australia and the expanse of the tropical Pacific with its islands to the North. By contrast parts of Europe with climates similar to NZ are the warm part of a continent with much colder regions to the North. NZ citizens born in Samoa for example come from an Island where they may have never experienced a temperature below 25C before arriving here.... changes your perspective a bit....

July 15/6C
1000mm rain

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:40 pm

Looks ok and growing well
I have had good luck with Syagrus Romanzoffiana down here in coastal Hobart

Troy

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:46 am

gezzachc wrote:
Hello all, I'm new to this forum but have often looked it up for advice etc.

I'm in Christchurch at 43 degrees south - you've probably seen our climate from others on the forum, but basically we are a US climate zone 9a, temperate oceanic climate. There are many unique facets to our climate e.g. we have snowfall on average every 2-3 years, however this is brief and only sticks around for a day or so. We have mild summers accompanied by the 'Fohn' or norwesterly wind where temps can often reach late 20's and early 30's (82 - 94F). Just as common is a cold snap where wind and rain come up from Antarctica - this can come any time of year.

Reason I'm posting this, is that previously I thought it was impossible to grow a decent Queen Palm Syagrus Romanzoffiana in Christchurch due to our lack of consistent summer heat, and number of frosts (roughly 40-60 frosts per year). I have seen one large (18-20ft) specimen growing nicely in a coastal suburb. However recently I spotted one on my usual route to work - about 8km inland from the coast, in the city! See pic below. As a result I have decided to plant a good sized one in a sheltered spot in my garden. I have often wanted one or two as I am landscaping it with several washingtonia robustas as well ( I have a Mediterranean / SoCal type house)

I've done a tonne of research and talked to plenty of nurseries and palm experts here and overseas and they reckon I'll have no problem getting some decent growth out of this. Let's hope all goes well!

This is the one I spotted in someone's backyard, and asked for permission to take a couple of pics.

It is trunking nicely and I imagine if they pulled off some of the lower husks there would be a tidy lined trunk starting to form.

Below is the one I have planted in my own back yard. I have planted it in a pretty sheltered spot, although it does miss a bit of midday sun due to the olive trees, it should be much more sheltered from frost. I'm going to plant another at the front, exposed / in full sun, in spring.

And view from my balcony

And my little Washingtonia Robustas - planted these in November and have settled in well, grown about 5-6 fronds each since planting.

Hi gezzachc
What Suburb is this Queen in ? ( Can you see it from the street )
What suburb are you living in ?
I planted one out in the garden 6-years ago ( Small though only 2-feet tall at the time )
Its slow but handling the climate better than i thought. I can't wait till it puts on some trunk.

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.5°c

Coldest Month
12.0°c / 3.0°c

Sat May 06, 2017 10:34 pm

The large Queen is just to the east of the city centre and can only be seen from the distance if you look hard. I live in the northwest of the City, so probably slightly more extreme than the city centre.

Mon May 22, 2017 10:19 pm

Queen palms are being taken out here more than planted; they were vastly overplanted in the 80s and 90s.

Tue May 23, 2017 12:01 am

philinsydney wrote:
Queen palms are being taken out here more than planted; they were vastly overplanted in the 80s and 90s.

Same in Auckland, where they have naturalised and are considered pests... but it doesn't stop them from being an attractive plant in a different city :wink:

Tue May 23, 2017 9:25 am

Hi, it was nice talking to you yesterday. I'm trying to send you my email but I cannot send any message for some reason. Anyway, the product I was telling you about is

https://www.0800466464.co.nz/misc/86-wa ... -mils.html

This could help a bit with the first year of establishment.

Good luck with the palms!

Tue May 23, 2017 7:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2