The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Established Queen Palm In Christchurch, New Zealand! 

Post Re: Established Queen Palm In Christchurch, New Zealand!
guillaume56 wrote:
Winter has been pretty kind so far. There is still some very slow growth on most palms at the gardens including Jubaea chilensis,Livistona chinensis and Brahea edulis!!! My main focus is trying to save the Dypsis decipiens, I’m suspecting root rot. I will try to post some pictures sometimes, I love the way the sun filter through the palms at this time of the year…difficult to find the sun this year though! I have a few Sabal minor seedlings for people that can visit me during the week :mrgreen:

What is wrong with the Dypsis decipiens ?
Did this Palm have an exposed heel on it before you planted it out ?
The position it is planted in is too exposed to the southerly weather ( It needs to be in a hot spot ) - In front of a building facing north.
In Christchurch this is a Palm that has to be cited correctly, in order to get it growing properly because its not the best climate for it.

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.5°c

Coldest Month
12.0°c / 3.0°c

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:56 am

It’s a bit of a long story with the Dypsis at the gardens, I have been very unlucky and I somehow feel guilty about it!

At the end of the first summer after plantation, the plant produced a new frond and I thought it was not a bad result for a start. It went through the first winter with very little damage even with negative temperature. During the second summer (February 2017), the palm suddenly started to drop its fronds one after another. I couldn’t find anything wrong with the foliage so I decided to dig a deep and narrow hole to have a look at the root system to find out... 2 things with horror!! First, a small/unnoticed leak in the irrigation system at 30 cm deep was sending water straight into it. Second, a part of the container bag was left under the plant by the company that did the planting(please, no comment) and trapping water from the leak.
I decided to dig the plant out to take off the left over bag, break the soggy soil and improve drainage. At that time I could see that the roots were starting to rot so I applied a systemic fungicide and replanted the palm. I gave it a little seaweed fertilizer and watered it with caution. Now, I’m left with one unopened green frond and the spear. The spear has grown a bit but it looks dry and there is mold on it, saying that it’s not coming out. I keep on applying some liquid copper on it to keep it clean and I have tried the hydrogen peroxide trick too.
I can’t think of anything else to do now, I just wish the weather could help but we had a cooler summer, a wet autumn and a gloomy winter…not to mention what we are getting now!! I just hope it survives!!!

Otherwise I agree with you, Dypsis decipiens require a fair amount of constant heat. Every time we had 22dgr and more I could notice growth on the spear. I’m aware of better location for a Dypsis but we have guidelines to follow regarding our plants collections.

I have a few more species of hardy palms growing in the nursery for the future fortunately.

How are your palms doing this winter?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:51 am

guillaume56 wrote:
It’s a bit of a long story with the Dypsis at the gardens, I have been very unlucky and I somehow feel guilty about it!

At the end of the first summer after plantation, the plant produced a new frond and I thought it was not a bad result for a start. It went through the first winter with very little damage even with negative temperature. During the second summer (February 2017), the palm suddenly started to drop its fronds one after another. I couldn’t find anything wrong with the foliage so I decided to dig a deep and narrow hole to have a look at the root system to find out... 2 things with horror!! First, a small/unnoticed leak in the irrigation system at 30 cm deep was sending water straight into it. Second, a part of the container bag was left under the plant by the company that did the planting(please, no comment) and trapping water from the leak.
I decided to dig the plant out to take off the left over bag, break the soggy soil and improve drainage. At that time I could see that the roots were starting to rot so I applied a systemic fungicide and replanted the palm. I gave it a little seaweed fertilizer and watered it with caution. Now, I’m left with one unopened green frond and the spear. The spear has grown a bit but it looks dry and there is mold on it, saying that it’s not coming out. I keep on applying some liquid copper on it to keep it clean and I have tried the hydrogen peroxide trick too.
I can’t think of anything else to do now, I just wish the weather could help but we had a cooler summer, a wet autumn and a gloomy winter…not to mention what we are getting now!! I just hope it survives!!!

Otherwise I agree with you, Dypsis decipiens require a fair amount of constant heat. Every time we had 22dgr and more I could notice growth on the spear. I’m aware of better location for a Dypsis but we have guidelines to follow regarding our plants collections.

I have a few more species of hardy palms growing in the nursery for the future fortunately.

How are your palms doing this winter?

Hi guillaume56
Is there a chance you could get a "COLD FRAME" built around the Dypsis until Summer arrives ? It needs to be kept out of this cold Winter and keep it on the dry side ( No rain )

Regards,
Rod.

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.5°c

Coldest Month
12.0°c / 3.0°c

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3