The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Established Queen Palm In Christchurch, New Zealand! 

Post Re: Established Queen Palm In Christchurch, New Zealand!
I would think Rhopostylis would grow in Christchurch. Especially blocks from water?

Ben,as I use it...32F (0C) is a solid freeze. Banana leafs are blackened,soft wooded cloudforest plants have leaf and soft tip kill. Over that,33F,34f ( 1C+)is cold enough to burn Banana leafs,Brugmansia can get some leaf burn,sometimes only top leafs with under that well.
If you dont have a true 32f? Your tropical plants can just sulk in the cool,suffer piddly damage. But,I can tell you,just one 32f of a few hours duration can really undue years of tropical plant growth if not kill it outright. I lost a poinciana that was near 3 years old to one single 32f this year. All the cold rainy days too.

In soucal, 32f seems to be of very short duration on the way to a nice 70f day. Same in Florida as you know where they will say Cyrtostachys renda has taken nights of high 30's..and then warmed back to 80F for weeks.

I know with our micro-climates,and oceans with varying sea temperatures 55f-58f Ocean temps here in norcal on average,62-65f there south of Santa Barbara add to the confusion.
But,I tell you..norcal was upped a half zone in 2012,and I notice months are often with 5f or more warmer summer nights...the biggest climate change that sure is not my imagination. Bay Area meteorologists will agree,we have warmer summer nights then ever before.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:48 am

Bennz wrote:
Hi Gezzachc,

I never worry about things like spears opening funny, they always seem to come right.

There are heaps of great Queens in Rotorua, you guys would not be colder than Rotorua would you? This whole discussion is interesting in that regard, I would have thought Queens would be easy in CHCH.

Yep hopefully the spears should come right.

Folks - by the way, the -5.5C was the official low at Christchurch Airport which is much more exposed and slightly further inland. I would think realistically the low could have been more like -4 if that makes any difference!

Regarding your question about Rotorua - Rotorua has a very similar climate to Christchurch in terms of averages, however:
- Rotorua gets slightly warmer average highs and lows (about 0.4C warmer)
- Christchurch gets hotter extremes in summer and Rotorua colder extremes during winter.

You're right - kinda strange how there's hardly any Queens around Christchurch. I think they'd be harder to grow from seed here, but a large specimen would grow just as fast as anywhere, going by the ones that are here.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:10 am

Well, looks like the Queens pulled through winter okay.

My larger, more exposed one got a bit fried on two of the fronds which I trimmed back. The only problem is while the spear has started growing nice and fast, it is flopping a fair bit - what can I do about this? It's as though the leaves are prematurely opening out around the spear. I've given it plenty of hydrogen peroxide treatment after winter's frosts, and the spear can definitely not be pulled.

The other smaller one is more of a stable performer and went totally dormant over winter but has hardly been affected one bit. In the last week or so, the spear has finally started growing again at a steady rate so fingers crossed this will come away over summer.

Pics to be uploaded when I can find a way to do it!

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:23 pm

Bennz wrote:
Albey wrote:
Even my Archontophoenix cunninghamiana is still green with some slightly bronzed leaves.

Is that a survivor from the seeds I sent you or from another source? Just curious as the seeds I sent you from my trees were originally from seeds I collected in my wifes old home town Lismore NSW, where the climate is subtropical with frosts. I'm just wondering how the original provenance relates to growth rates.

Hi Ben
Unfortunately i grew those seedlings up until they were 18-months old, before losing them ( My fault ) to hot sunshine - I forgot to water them for just 2-days and they fried. I was very upset because they were growing fast. I would love to get some more off you at some stage ( From your own grown palms ) - The plant i have was bought from Oderings last Summer, and is planted out. So it will be a very interesting experiment going forward. I wish it was from your own seed.

Rod.

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.5°c

Coldest Month
12.0°c / 3.0°c

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:40 am

Here is the trunk of my Queen Palm i planted out over 4-years ago.
The Palm has tripled in size ( not height ) in that time and grows slow but steady.

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.5°c

Coldest Month
12.0°c / 3.0°c

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:43 am

Here's a couple of pics from a year or more ago, not v good photos, but a queen growing near the central city. I was able to take some pics from an empty site next door. It's about the height of a 2 story building I guess. It was a surprise to find this!

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:38 am

Someone called Simon wrote:
Here's a couple of pics from a year or more ago, not v good photos, but a queen growing near the central city. I was able to take some pics from an empty site next door. It's about the height of a 2 story building I guess. It was a surprise to find this!

Hi Simon - its amazing what you find in peoples gardens - as far as Queens are concerned i have only seen them outside in Sumner.
What street is this on, i might take a drive down that road and have a look.

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.5°c

Coldest Month
12.0°c / 3.0°c

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:26 am

I can't remember exactly, it's behind a house on, perhaps Gloucester, Armagh or Worcester, but viewable only from Barbados street. There's a fence along Barbados as an apartment block is going in. So it would be on the left going down Barbadoes, and easy to miss. Somewhere in the vicinity of beat street cafe... If that helps! Actually maybe I can track it down with streetview...

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:51 am

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-43.5312 ... 312!8i6656

should be just to the left of the billboard here. Not visible really but you can see the garden behind the 3 storey townhouse.So it's Barbadoes between Worcester and Hereford, the house being on Hereford.

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:57 am

Someone called Simon wrote:
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-43.5312951,172.6456436,3a,72.5y,130.99h,89.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szzOvIiMcS7oVVd1hHT1QaQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

should be just to the left of the billboard here. Not visible really but you can see the garden behind the 3 storey townhouse.So it's Barbadoes between Worcester and Hereford, the house being on Hereford.

Hi Simon
Thanks for the coordinates.

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.5°c

Coldest Month
12.0°c / 3.0°c

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4