The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Gynura cusimbua 
Site Admin

Post Gynura cusimbua
Chad kindly gave me one of these tree daisies a couple of years ago at Tremenheere its growth rate was stupendous but it did not get to flower.
Last year again we could not even keep up with its watering requirements in its pot so half way through the season I planted it out in Jackies veg patch.
I was meaning to dig it up and bring it in as obviously the frost would kill it stone dead.

So that was that I thought, having forgot to bring it in, but not so it is shooting from the base so flowers this year.....possibly not! :lol:

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Post Re: Gynura cusimbua
Rejoice in it as a foliage plant! Big lush leaves with a red central vein on a reliable herbaceous plant to 10 ft tall each year.

I have flowered it once.
It has the typical anticlimactic Gynura irregular shuttlecock of orange/yellow small flowers in the early spring on overwintered shoots.
I can't find a picture of mine in flower - I guess I was never excited enough to take one!

The following picture is of it in bud this January. It was decimated by gales a few days later. Any frost stops it flowering.

Gynura cusimbua in bud.

The species is sometimes 'sunk' into C.bicolor, and that is an edible leaf vegetable.

If anyone wants one I can bring it to The Tregrehan Rare Plant Sale in June.

Chad.

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]