The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Saving Cyathea brownii. 

Post Saving Cyathea brownii.
It was languishing in the shade and root system of a BIG Podocarpus gracilor. I purchased the fern in a one gallon pot at a UC Berkeley sale in the 2001-2002 era. It originally was kept in a warm tropical greenhouse and later did I learn they of course do not like warm and very humid as it developed a rotted crown. As a plant with a will to live it still regrew a new crown.
In 2005 I planted it under the tree in my backyard. For years- at least the first five- it thrives with C.medullaris like large fronds. THEN, we had the drought. At first it was the near rainless (but cool) winters that went by and I just dragged my feet to water it..so it went very dry. From that point on around 2012,it really declined. If it was not for THIS winters heavy rains? I think it would have died.
When I dug this up today? The ground it grew in was dry,and full of Podocarpus roots.
Sad looking. Even Alocasia are wilted.
Now dug up and beside its new old pot.
In pot and looking spiffy,I think.
In the landscape next to C.medullaris....and to my left out of view is another young C.medullaris. A Mexican tree fern is getting some size in its pot in a back corner. Its looking lush..not the number of species in this 20' x 30' yard as say the SF Conservatory greenhouse per square foot,but a good imitation!

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Post Re: Saving Cyathea brownii.
Hi Stan, I think that will do better under these conditions.

Are there drainage holes at the bottom of the pot? My C.brownii consume a lot of water, one of the most thirsty under the tree ferns!

The last picture shows a beautiful subtropical atmosphere :wink:

Eduard.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 am

Thank Eduard. I did use a straight Miracle Grow potting mix..with some left over bagged "top soils" I bought last year. It might go back into the ground one day. One thing I notice is that compared to C.medullaris is that the C. brownii sheds it leave bases easily to the tug. After the photo,I was able to get an even cleaner trunk with a tug here and tug there.

Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Hmm looks a bit stunted stan they love heaps of water as i have found out with mine.

Troy

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:54 am

That's what happened Troy...just no winning once the Podocarpus really took over. I have a young C.medullaris about 10' to the left of where I had the C.brownii,looking very good- so far. The big C.medullaris? needs huge amounts of water. At least every other day.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]