The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 11:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Dicksonia youngiae 

Post Dicksonia youngiae
Has anybody any idea how hardy this fern is compared to squarrosa as I remember Steve Pope saying they were very similar in a lot of ways. Has anybody anywhere got one planted out perminately. I have D.squarrosa x2 planted out and require no protection through the winter and remain every green and seriously considering planting out the Youngiae.

Cheers Chris

Wed May 03, 2017 9:22 am

Post Re: Dicksonia youngiae
hilts wrote:
Has anybody any idea how hardy this fern is compared to squarrosa as I remember Steve Pope saying they were very similar in a lot of ways. Has anybody anywhere got one planted out perminately. I have D.squarrosa x2 planted out and require no protection through the winter and remain every green and seriously considering planting out the Youngiae.

Cheers Chris

I'm afraid I have no personal experience, but this site suggests it might be slightly more hardy than squarrosa:
http://www.angelfire.com/bc/eucalyptus/treeferns/youngiae.html

Wed May 03, 2017 2:51 pm

I still have my 2 Dicksonia youngiae standing in the conservatory, which now grows well after 6 years! I'm going to keep 1 outside this summer to see what's going to be the difference in growth, in the ground is no option here, its to cold, I'm careful, they are my last :wink:

Photo May 2016,

Eduard.

Thu May 04, 2017 9:23 am

Yes they definitely respond well to being kept warm. Over the winter I put mine in a warm light room and stood the pot in a tray of an inch of water constantly topping up and it grew like crazy put one new frond out after another right through the winter/early spring months but now it standing in shady bit of garden and growth has slowed right down taking nearly a month to send up just one frond.
Maybe not such a good idea.

Thanks chaps, Chris

Mon May 08, 2017 5:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]