The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Bunya Mountains 

Post Bunya Mountains
I drove from Brisbane to Bunya Mountains a couple of weeks ago:

Sun May 07, 2017 7:43 am

Post Re: Bunya Mountains
Hi Phil, great pictures, thanks for reminding about my last visit there from my in-laws place at Kingaroy. Was it cold your trip? I was amazed how cold it was when I was there, and how tropical the vegetation was in such a cold site. Did you by any chance take any pictures of the Archontophoenix there? I had heaps of pictures but lost them, my recollection is that they looked a little different from usual bangalows. Love those Ficus watkinsiana too, can you post any more picture of them?

July 15/6C
1000mm rain

Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 am

Bennz wrote:
Hi Phil, great pictures, thanks for reminding about my last visit there from my in-laws place at Kingaroy. Was it cold your trip? I was amazed how cold it was when I was there, and how tropical the vegetation was in such a cold site. Did you by any chance take any pictures of the Archontophoenix there? I had heaps of pictures but lost them, my recollection is that they looked a little different from usual bangalows. Love those Ficus watkinsiana too, can you post any more picture of them?

Yes, there was an icy wind blowing and fog up on top in the early morning. I only saw one bangalow palm there and it was only a few feet tall. I thought maybe the area is too high, dry or cold for palms.
here are some palms from Cunninghams Gap to compensate:

Sun May 07, 2017 9:45 am
Site Admin

Excellent photos Phil love those giant grass trees' I guess the locals just picnic underneath them taking them for granted they are an awesome sight in flower.
It certainly puts into perspective my attempt at growing this ancient spp here in middle England :(

Did you find any Cordyline seeds lying around that would be an interesting thin trunked Cordyline to try?
Btw any idea's as to what the low temps maybe at Bunya Mts?

Sun May 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Kev Spence wrote:
Excellent photos Phil love those giant grass trees' I guess the locals just picnic underneath them taking them for granted they are an awesome sight in flower.
It certainly puts into perspective my attempt at growing this ancient spp here in middle England :(

Did you find any Cordyline seeds lying around that would be an interesting thin trunked Cordyline to try?

I didn't think to look for seeds- I'm not really a gardening oriented person; I just enjoy observing plants more than anything.
As far as temps go, I think it would not get much below freezing there but days would often stay cool in winter due to the altitude. A lot of Australian highland areas are like that and don't have to deal with extreme lows.
The rainforest there was quite magnificent with 40m-50m tree common. It looked quite lush and subtropical; not like the "warm temperate" rainforest I am used to seeing in the Blue Mountains which looks quite simplistic by comparison.
OTOH Bunya Mountains is rather cool and dry compared to other subtropical rainforests in SE Qld/ NE NSW.

Sun May 07, 2017 8:31 pm

Those stinging trees sound horrific but great for a garden boundary if you have neighbours you can't stand.

Sun May 07, 2017 9:21 pm

I have the C.petiolaris. Grew it from a wee 3" Houseplant section of the local Home Improvement store. Its also the same plant I posted as having been eaten to with in an inch of its life by gophers. I re -rooted it and its in a 15 gallon pot and over 6' tall so far. I've seen them grown in ground here in near full sun..doing well as a near clump.
The Grass tree growing in a wet climate is a surprise. I can only wonder how old they must be.
I wish UC Berkeley had tried a strangler fig. They would grow here. They for some reason leave out Dragon tree's and Bangalows also.

Sun May 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Kev Spence wrote:

Kev, this place is cold! Well, at least compared to the heat of the surrounding lowlands. Check out this climate station at 560m elevation, still subtropical;
http://weather.mla.com.au/climate-histo ... -mountains

But look at the stats for the summit on wikipedia! Record low -9C, 5 months in a row with mean minimums at 4C or below (and therefore good frost potential). Depsite the subtropical latitude the elevation puts the temperature range more into line with extreme Southern Coastal Australia, or central NZ.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunya_Mountains#Climate

July 15/6C
1000mm rain

Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 am

philinsydney wrote:
Bennz wrote:

Yes, there was an icy wind blowing and fog up on top in the early morning. I only saw one bangalow palm there and it was only a few feet tall. I thought maybe the area is too high, dry or cold for palms.
here are some palms from Cunninghams Gap to compensate:

Thanks Phil, reminds me of my (old) home away from home. I love that part of Aus, the NE NSW/SE QLD higher altitude forests are beautiful. I grow a lot of subtropical Aus natives here, while my summers and days are colder, the extreme lows in the Aussie rainforests are often lower than here. Thanks for the pictures.

July 15/6C
1000mm rain

Mon May 08, 2017 12:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]