The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 10:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Keith and Melissa's 
Site Admin

Post Keith and Melissa's
So after visiting Urban Jungle nearby we were all kindly invited round to Keith and Melissa's house for tea cake and a viewing of their lovely garden.
Melissa mentioned its not exactly the best time of year for visiting but I found it really interesting seeing the efforts they go to keep the winter cold at bay.
This something I have done from day one and you can get some really good results with a little effort or in Keith's place lots of effort.

I think Melissa mentioned this Trachy in their front garden got the ball rolling

Schefflera impressa looked suitably impressive.

Sadly quite a few ferns were killed in 2010 Cyathea australis one of these

Washingtonia with protection

David Matzdorf, Keith and Mark above

Andy Martin, John Prescott and Jackie

Apparently this Chamaerops was a beast to install

Dicksonia were all flushing well

A nice Yucca glauca below these things are rock hard

X.glauca below

I love Keith's attention to detail

A couple of group shots one whilst they were messing about and the proper one

Many thanks for inviting us guys Jackie and myself certainly enjoyed the day I hope members on GOTE also enjoy the views!

Mon May 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Post Re: Keith and Melissa's
Thanks for the photos. Garden looks lovely. Cake looks yummy. The podophyllum are to die for :D

Mo

Mon May 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Great photos Kev. We did intend to take the covers off, but hail was forecast the previous week. As it was we had it on two days so worth leaving them.
Several projects planned for this year, so something new to view the next time, hopefully not 10 years.

Mon May 08, 2017 8:04 pm
Site Admin

Keith wrote:
...the next time, hopefully not 10 years.

I checked. It was 29 May 2010, so not quite 10 years. Just feels that way.

Haven't we got old, though? :wink:

Mon May 08, 2017 11:01 pm

I'm constantly astounded at the effort some people here put into overwintering their plants! It is extremely impressive, but I have to ask myself would I bother? I think I would be too lazy, and would realise that sooner or later I would not get around to protecting things on time and loose the lot. I guess looking at my 'garden' says it all; absolutely nothing that is difficult is growing here, instead I'm attempting to create the ambience of a warmer climate with hardy choices. All I can say is well done!

July 15/6C
1000mm rain

Tue May 09, 2017 3:14 am

Keith wrote:
Great photos Kev. We did intend to take the covers off, but hail was forecast the previous week. As it was we had it on two days so worth leaving them.
Several projects planned for this year, so something new to view the next time, hopefully not 10 years.

Can I ask what holds all the shelters in place? I can see they are all bespoke for their particular spot but I know if I put something like that up without guy ropes it would be in the Bristol Channel! Garden has really come on well since I last saw pictures, sorry you are so far away!

Tue May 09, 2017 7:39 am
Profile WWW

charliepridham wrote:
Keith wrote:

Can I ask what holds all the shelters in place? I can see they are all bespoke for their particular spot but I know if I put something like that up without guy ropes it would be in the Bristol Channel! Garden has really come on well since I last saw pictures, sorry you are so far away!

I was wondering the same thing, except any protection used here would be headed in the direction of the Mull of Kintyre.

Tue May 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Bennz wrote:
I'm constantly astounded at the effort some people here put into overwintering their plants! It is extremely impressive, but I have to ask myself would I bother? I think I would be too lazy, and would realise that sooner or later I would not get around to protecting things on time and loose the lot. I guess looking at my 'garden' says it all; absolutely nothing that is difficult is growing here, instead I'm attempting to create the ambience of a warmer climate with hardy choices. All I can say is well done!

Ditto. The sunroom with blue cacti-Nepenthes is more inspiration that the more plants the better!

Tue May 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Charlie, Conrad, wooden stakes are driven into the ground and the frames screwed to them. This is usually sufficient, but we have had a couple of the taller frames blown over and the stakes broken in storm weather. All the frames are designed to be flat packed for storage.

Fri May 12, 2017 9:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]