The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 at my wit's end 
Post at my wit's end
My small pond is constantly full of algae, no matter how often I net it out. I have a good population of newts and dragonfly larvae, only use rainwater to top up and try not to let leaves stagnate. What the heck am I doing wrong? :?

Thu May 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Post Re: at my wit's end
Probably too much nitrates in the water. Add some more (bog) plants or invest in a good filter. Small ponds are also harder to maintain than big ponds due to fluctuating temperatures. These fluctuations have a large impact on the ecosystem in your pond and are probably causing problems as well.

Thu May 18, 2017 4:04 pm

You have to cover at least one third of the surface water with vegetation, that keeps the sunlight off the water and it stays clear. it's the Devil's own job to get the percentages just right, but once you do it will remain clear.

Adrian

Thu May 18, 2017 8:06 pm

To remove and reduce algae you must scoop it out first and then get to the bottom of the issue in your water chemistry if it comes back. String algae removal typically takes 20-70 days with beneficial bacteria to speed up the process. We’ve noticed results within 8 days.
Physically Remove String Algae – This is your best method for removing algae. Though it may seem dirty, it is essential to do before treating so you can reduce the amount of decay. Pull the biggest bits of algae near the base, pull hard, and put it into a bucket. It can sometimes be difficult to pull out a lot at one time since it is soft and malleable. Physical removal is the fastest way to get algae out of your pond and take the next step to crystal clear pond water. Winding around fingers/hands is the best approach aside from a toilet or long lint brush to roll it up with. The hand approach is easier because the thin strands are difficult to clean away from brush bristles. Wearing gloves are not required but may keep you cleaner. Use a long handled brush to pull out the algae at depth.
Place quick growing and reproducing plants in your pond to increase oxygen content. Make sure you take out the decaying plants first, as they will not help your fight against algae. Choose plants that will grow larger, consume a lot of nutrients, and will not require a lot of upkeep.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]