The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 OT Building supplies in the USA 

Post OT Building supplies in the USA
Rather Off topic, my son is about to head across to the USA (New York state) to build a patio and path for one of his university friends but he is finding it hard to discover where to go for building suppliers (sand cement powder etc) it may just be a case of different terms. Can anyone give any pointers ?

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: OT Building supplies in the USA
Exactly where in New York State? I know a lot of people there.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Wow, that is OT.

The dominant "DIY" chains in the US are Lowes and Home Depot. You can buy sand, cement, concrete, etc. in bag there.

That being said if you need a lot of such things, it is insanity to buy them in bags at a store. Just search white pages or google for "building materials". I just got 7 tons of coarse sand delivered for $175. (to plant rhododendrons btw) Even at the very cheapest price you could hope to get that bagged, it would have been over $800. Something like cement of course, must be protected from moisture. For a big enough job you would just get concrete from a mixer truck.

It is so humid here in the summer I am having luck growing root rot sensitive rhodies in 5-6" piles of course sand, covered in mulch of course. They don't seem to need more watering beyond what they would need in the native soil; which is counter-intuitive at first but I think there are reasons it is true.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:57 pm

David Matzdorf wrote:
Exactly where in New York State? I know a lot of people there.

Northern New York city suburbs I think, his friend is clueless and my son is like me, he will know want he wants when he sees it! ie we don't always know the correct terms for stuff.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:11 pm
Profile WWW

davidmdzn7 wrote:
Wow, that is OT.

The dominant "DIY" chains in the US are Lowes and Home Depot. You can buy sand, cement, concrete, etc. in bag there.

That being said if you need a lot of such things, it is insanity to buy them in bags at a store. Just search white pages or google for "building materials". I just got 7 tons of coarse sand delivered for $175. (to plant rhododendrons btw) Even at the very cheapest price you could hope to get that bagged, it would have been over $800. Something like cement of course, must be protected from moisture. For a big enough job you would just get concrete from a mixer truck.

It is so humid here in the summer I am having luck growing root rot sensitive rhodies in 5-6" piles of course sand, covered in mulch of course. They don't seem to need more watering beyond what they would need in the native soil; which is counter-intuitive at first but I think there are reasons it is true.

Well at least its a garden project and not a bathroom! :)

I think the sort of quantities required are a couple of tons of what over here would be "Three quarters to dust" which could be delivered in ton bags (sometimes called dumpy bags) but looking from here the US suppliers wanted to know what sort of sand? and without knowing how you would call it its tricky to order at this distance!

The stone the friend has already organised, its not a paid job just going over to help his mate.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]