The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Lomatia ferruginea 

Post Lomatia ferruginea
I'm happy to grow this for its foliage alone, but the flowers have been a welcome bonus this year.

Pete

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Lomatia ferruginea
Nice Pete not one I grow I do like the delicate leaves and spotted various nurseries selling it in Cornwall is it planted out........neat flowers very eye catching.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks, Kev.
It's in a big pot permanently on the patio. I think I picked it up at Lower Kennedy a few years back.

Pete

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:24 pm
Profile WWW

A very nice exotic looking tree you have there Pete. Does it flower on a regular bases, or have you not had it long enough to find out yet? I must say I'm very tempted. Will it stand the wind.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Beautiful. Unfortunately I was tempted and the plant was killed by cold in its first year. They are very exotic looking and I am envious of those who can grow it.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:24 pm

junglejason wrote:
A very nice exotic looking tree you have there Pete. Does it flower on a regular bases, or have you not had it long enough to find out yet? I must say I'm very tempted. Will it stand the wind.

Thanks, Jason. It has had a few flowers the last couple of years, but more and better this year. It's still not very big.

Not sure about the wind. Although I only live a couple of hundred metres from the east coast and it does get pretty windy here, this plant is kept in a sheltered spot near a south wall.

Pete

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 pm
Profile WWW

Martin, I used to live just down the road from you, Brosley, but I can't remember how cold it was there. They are supposed to take -10C but like a free draining soil.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:40 am
Site Admin

Those flowers are more colourful than on the Lomatia ferruginea I grew. I acquired it as a small plant in 1998 and kept it in a succession of pots, mainly because of its dislike of phosphate. It reached about 2m, perhaps a bit more, and flowered well 2 or 3 times, but was damaged by the long cold spell in winter 2008/09 and then finished off by the two succeeding winters.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:03 am

It got down to -18 Jason. We had a couple of weeks where the ground was frozen solid with sub-zero temperatures and I lost many plants that year. I did plant it in one of my sheltered positions but I'm afraid it was nowhere near enough for it. Either that or it was just getting its own back on me for bringing it back up here from Cornwall! Strange how some plants react - my Schima which I was advised would be unlikely to survie outside of Cornwall or sheltered West coast locations sailed through in a totally exposed position with no damage at all. I guess part of the fun of GOTE is seeing which can and which can't for yourself, rather than taking much notice of the suggested lowest temperature guides for the plant.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:43 am

They look very pretty.

It's good to see you posting again Pete :)

How are you and how's your garden doing? Still growing all those fab exotic plants?

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Lomatia myricoides is hardier and tougher, kept alive for some years in suburban Washington, DC garden. However the flowers are a bit of a yawn. Wish someone would cross them - if they oblige - to create a tougher plant with slightly more colorful flowers.
My Grevillea X 'Poorinda Leane' has gone berserk and is blooming for a 2nd time this year! Am worried it's because I applied a bit of Miracle Gro to a Nolina that might have been right at the edge of its root zone, giving it too much phosphorus. This hasn't seen a real cold winter yet...its parents were killed by the polar winters but weren't in very sheltered spots as this one is.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:31 am

Adam D wrote:

How are you and how's your garden doing? Still growing all those fab exotic plants?

Thanks, Adam.
I'm very well thank you. Hope you are too.
Still got quite a collection of exotic stuff. As the plants have got bigger my tiny garden has got even smaller.

Pete

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:08 am
Profile WWW

PeteFree wrote:
Adam D wrote:

Thanks, Adam.
I'm very well thank you. Hope you are too.
Still got quite a collection of exotic stuff. As the plants have got bigger my tiny garden has got even smaller.

Pete

That's good to hear Pete.

I am doing good at the moment. I had a very bad time 15 months ago, but much better now.

I know what you mean about your plants getting bigger and your garden getting smaller as I am facing a similar problem :)

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:50 pm

Pete, is yours really that colour?

Mine is much less showy and the leaves are more grey. Your picture looks very chromatically bright.

On mine, you have to get quite close before you are even aware it is in flower!

Chad.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Chad wrote:
Pete, is yours really that colour?.

Hi Chad,
Yes, they really were that bright. The plant is in a large pot and the flowers were quite low down. Had they not been so colourful I probably wouldn't have spotted them.

I find the foliage quite green, but more grey/glaucous on the undersides.

Pete

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]