The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Puya 

Post Puya
I'm looking for some more Puya to try in the garden since I haven't killed P. berteroana yet.
I had a look around Falmouth and there are a few down there that look good but I don't know what they are - can anybody help?
This one had spikes about 5 feet tall - I could even fit that in the greenhouse if I had to.

Flowering long finished, but it looks as though it was good.

The next one was flowering now on a roundabout. Just perfect for my garden if I knew what it was.

Finally this old plant is growing in Queen Mary Gardens but I would love to try it at home - even if I had to keep it under cover. Any ideas about a name?

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Puya
Hi John

1st has the appearance of P. chilensis, but with stunted/truncated inflorescences. There are of course large numbers of P. chilensis x alpestris/berteroana around so this could also be one of these seedlings.

2nd is P. alpestris.

3rd is a very sick looking plant that would appear to be on its last legs. Puya coerulea possibly, but hard to tell. More likely P. alpestris showing mainly abaxial greyness.

www.panglobalplants.com

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]