The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Eucomis seedlings advice needed 

Post Eucomis seedlings advice needed
I have grown Eucomis for years but this spring was surprised to find literally hundreds of seedlings around the parent plants which has never happened for me before. I threw most away as I was moving house but potted a few up into a seed tray and have just repotted them again into pots.
They already have tiny bulbs attached but should I keep them green over the winter or allow them to be exposed to the cold so that they are treated like adult plants? I am just a bit worried that if I do this they are so small they will be killed by the cold?????
Cheers
Martin

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:59 pm

Post Re: Eucomis seedlings advice needed
I would think that you would be able to treat them similarly to adult plant. If they were in my garden, I would give them some cold, but not full exposure in a pot. I'd make sure they were in the ground and mulched.

I have visited a local nursery that propagates eucomis in exposed fields year round. I wouldn't imagine he gets too many losses, since he's been doing it for years as a profitable business.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:27 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Eucomis seedlings advice needed
I used to let nature take its course back in the day when I thought they were wonderful and people would actually buy them! I still think they are great but have stopped growing them to sell.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]