The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:30 am



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Some plant pics 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:32 pm
Posts: 404
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
Post Some plant pics
Hi, well I set up a flickr account but I can't figure out how to embed the pics here so here is the link to the slideshow.

Although Cyathea medullaris is doing well, I'm especially amazed at how Cyathea cooperi has taken off. It was a tiny sprout a year ago and is a monster now!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150636513@N08/36177937782/in/dateposted-public/


Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:19 am
Profile
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:06 pm
Posts: 4467
Location: Islington, London UK
Post Re: Some plant pics
scottinfukie wrote:
Hi, well I set up a flickr account but I can't figure out how to embed the pics here...


Go to your image. Click on the 'download your photo' icon in the LR corner. Select 'view all sizes'. Pick a size. Right-click on the image. Select 'copy image address'. Paste that between [ img] and [ /img] (but with the spaces removed) in your post.

Complicated, but it's the way that works. Like this:

Image

Click "quote" on this post and you'll see the syntax.

_________________
51º33'07"N x 0º07'21"W
43m (142 feet) ASL


Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:12 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:34 pm
Posts: 608
Location: Iowa
Post Re: Some plant pics
Cooperi are really nice T.Ferns and probably underrated too!


I have planted a new one this year and am really enjoying those
beautiful green fronds!


Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:38 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:02 pm
Posts: 2307
Location: Germany USDA 8b
Post Re: Some plant pics
Cool plants, Scot!

I really admire your Cyrtomium falcatum, a species that behaves like a 'sleeper' only, here in my latitudes.

I makes vigorous underground growth :roll: , freezes to the ground every winter and comes back as late as August. Pretty useless and better kept as a houseplant here!


Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:20 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Kyushu, Southern Japan (33.607N latitude)
Post Re: Some plant pics
Great to see all the ferns doing so well Scott. That C. debaoensis really is taking off finally too. I bet it likes being in the ground. Is that C. cooperi the one I gave you? Glad to see the C. medullaris doing well too. Is the C. dealbata still growing? I lost one of mine last year.

_________________
Botany Boy


Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:41 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:32 pm
Posts: 404
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
Post Re: Some plant pics
David Matzdorf wrote:
scottinfukie wrote:
Hi, well I set up a flickr account but I can't figure out how to embed the pics here...


Go to your image. Click on the 'download your photo' icon in the LR corner. Select 'view all sizes'. Pick a size. Right-click on the image. Select 'copy image address'. Paste that between [ img] and [ /img] (but with the spaces removed) in your post.

Complicated, but it's the way that works. Like this:

Image

Click "quote" on this post and you'll see the syntax.


Thanks David! I'm on my phone now but next time at my laptop I'll try that!


Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:15 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:32 pm
Posts: 404
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
Post Re: Some plant pics
Tom Velardi wrote:
Great to see all the ferns doing so well Scott. That C. debaoensis really is taking off finally too. I bet it likes being in the ground. Is that C. cooperi the one I gave you? Glad to see the C. medullaris doing well too. Is the C. dealbata still growing? I lost one of mine last year.



Thanks Tom!

That is the same cooperi. It's incredible how fast it grows!
Unfortunately the dealbata didn't make it through last January's freeze. I was under the mistaken impression it was tougher than the rest and just covered it with some straw but that clearly wasn't enough. I lost both my lepiferas and my spinulosa as well. :(


Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:19 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:32 pm
Posts: 404
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
Post Re: Some plant pics
Steven wrote:
Cool plants, Scot!

I really admire your Cyrtomium falcatum, a species that behaves like a 'sleeper' only, here in my latitudes.

I makes vigorous underground growth :roll: , freezes to the ground every winter and comes back as late as August. Pretty useless and better kept as a houseplant here!



Thanks! It's more or less a weed here. I assume the previous owners did plant it to go with the waterfall and pond they had in the garden but they just grow all over.


Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:21 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:41 pm
Posts: 119
Location: Glendale, CA, USA
Post Re: Some plant pics
My favorite, by far, is still the Lemmaphyllum microphyllum. I love that little guy!!!

Here's how I share Flickr photos...

1. Click the Share icon. It's the arrow button below and to the right of the photo.
2. Click the BBCode tab.
3. Select the size.
4. Copy and paste the code into the forum text box...

Image
IMG_7266 by Scott Wysong, on Flickr

_________________
Carlos - Epiphytes and Economics


Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:43 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:46 pm
Posts: 888
Location: Maastricht Netherlands
Post Re: Some plant pics
Hi Scot, Your tree ferns look fantastic, including beautifully grown soils :roll:

Eduard.

_________________
2016 min. -07.0ºC --- max. 35.4ºC
2017 min. -08.1ºC --- max. 34.7ºC


Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:38 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:52 pm
Posts: 7530
Location: Hayward- S.F. Bay area Ca.
Post Re: Some plant pics
Everything looks a heck of a lot different from when you started. Even what was there looks better- like the little fern Epiphyte mentioned.

Is it the lighting or do I see your Cyathea medullaris with two stipes that are black and one brown? That would be a new one.

What is the Canna? Or is it something else?

All I would suggest is a little water feature...falls,or tiny stream. With that hillside it would be as natural looking as can be.


Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:43 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:52 pm
Posts: 7530
Location: Hayward- S.F. Bay area Ca.
Post Re: Some plant pics
Epiphyte wrote:
My favorite, by far, is still the Lemmaphyllum microphyllum. I love that little guy!!!

Here's how I share Flickr photos...

1. Click the Share icon. It's the arrow button below and to the right of the photo.
2. Click the BBCode tab.
3. Select the size.
4. Copy and paste the code into the forum text box...

Image
IMG_7266 by Scott Wysong, on Flickr



See? Water should be trickling right there into a small pool of water where the Asplenium is sitting. Already the illusion is there.


Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:45 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:20 pm
Posts: 3603
Location: Kyushu, Southern Japan (33.607N latitude)
Post Re: Some plant pics
scottinfukie wrote:
Thanks Tom!

That is the same cooperi. It's incredible how fast it grows!
Unfortunately the dealbata didn't make it through last January's freeze. I was under the mistaken impression it was tougher than the rest and just covered it with some straw but that clearly wasn't enough. I lost both my lepiferas and my spinulosa as well. :(


I lost one spinulosa last winter as well and the other is just starting to recover. Sorry to hear about the dealbata, though I'm surprised since I thought it should be much more cold hardy than cooperi or medullaris. Go figure. Something that is pretty cool is that your tree fern collection is in part a collaboration of at least four people from this board - yours truly, Mark Longley, Kev Spence, and indirectly Steve Pope. Steve introduced me to Mark, and I got the spore of both medullaris and dealbata from him, and Kev gave me spore of cooperi. As a result, you have tree ferns from the bush of New Zealand and the island of Madeira growing in your garden in Japan! That's pretty cool.

_________________
Botany Boy


Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:23 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.