The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Musschia wollastonii (Red) 
Site Admin

Post Musschia wollastonii (Red)
In 2006 I took the first picture below at Lammoran Gdns this our first ever sighting of the yellow Musschia wollastonii a few years later from seed we got one to flower.
The colour for me was a little bland the flower itself was interesting but I wished for something with a stronger colour.

So forward lots of years and Charlie Pridham said he had come across a red one at the same place that we had grabbed a few seeds at in Madeira.
Another year passed and Charlie made his annual visit to the island but this time harvested a few seeds.
He mentioned this on the forum and I begged and pleaded with him to send me some seeds which he kindly did.
They did come up but all damped off and I lost the lot grrrr :oops:

I again mentioned this on the forum and Martin Nicklin said his seeds had come up like cress so he sent me a couple of plants which I swapped for a spare red Iochroma I had a good result.

Last year I believe Martin's flowered this year its my turn 8)

There are the two plants here which both have 2Mt high inflorescences of these fabulous looking red flowers.
They have just started opening so I think a better show is on the cards in a few weeks time.

Looking at stock photos on the interweb it seems the few red Musschia's growing all seem to originate from these plants in Madeira I hope it keeps seeding itself around.

If the sun ever appears again I will pull the pots out and snap a few more pics when they are in full flow

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:58 pm

Post Re: Musschia wollastonii (Red)
Glad they did well for you Kev. I did have one survive the winter unprotected but moved house a couple of months back. Hope the new owner has kept it and is enjoying it ... and didn't root it out thinking it was a weed!

Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:54 pm

You should have plenty of your own seed now Kev! I must try again as Martin was telling me earlier this year about his success and its getting a bit embarrassing that I cant grow them :oops:

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:59 am
Profile WWW

That red form is a bit special - lovely to see!

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]