The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hi from Dudley 

Post Hi from Dudley
Hi

I am new to tropical gardening as well as this forum. I live in the West Midlands in the U.K. and am enjoying growing some tropical plants from seed. A bit hit and miss but lots of fun and satisfaction when those seedlings break through. Due to the slow growth I am realising that I need to buy plants too to get a head start and slowly turn my garden more tropical. I grew quite a lot of Dahlia's in the Spring which I love and hope to increase my collection for colour but am fascinated by the palms, tree ferns and big tropical leaved plants. I am surprised and pleased that there are so many members from the UK on here. Some beautiful gardens so I hope to have similar success myself over time as my collection grows. I hope not to be too much of pain asking too many questions and perhaps in time I can contribute something myself when not so 'green behind the ears'.

Musa Basjoo £10 from Gardeners World NEC

Dwarf dahlias in an old wooden sandpit

Tetrapanax Rex £20 from Gardeners World NEC

The three Musa Sikkimensis and two Giant Sequoia that germinated

Four successful Fatsia seeds broke through

My Mountain agave were very exciting and are now making slow but sure progress in the greenhouse but not holding my breath for the rough tree fern spores (bit ambitious for right now!).

Thanks for having me. I am inspired by the beautiful gardens of the members on here - WOW!!

Tim

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:34 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Hi from Dudley
Hi Tim welcome to GOTE its always good to see some new guys here you have a good start with the plants you have bought.
By the looks of your T.rex you may have to protect the growth point come winter as they can rot out when small but you would be very unfortunate to lose it completely.
The Musa basjoo should / will be ok in the ground the roots are good to go to -15 c I have tested that theory to -11c and they did come back just fine.
BTW Musa Basjoo that size in Wyevale at the moment are £52 :lol:

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi Tim,

Enjoy the forum and your garden. What sort of winter temperatures do you get in Dudley. I seem to remember it can get quite cold round by the zoo.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi Guys

Thanks for the warm welcome. That musa is doing me proud then because one of my other hobbies is fettling on my old car and that only ever loses me money so makes a nice change! I was thinking of bringing it into the unheated greenhouse because it is it's first year but if it would be better to put it into the ground then I can do that and mulch over the roots and put fleece around. You are right about the cold around the zoo in winter Jason. It's so high up there that the wind cuts you in half. I have never taken much notice of the temps before around here but looking at AccuWeather it seems the lowest was 29&30th Nov at -4 deg C. It was a mild winter though but I don't think it has fallen too far below that over the last few yrs. Storm Doris did loads of damage around here though as it did everywhere. I guess I need to start thinking about micro climates and wind breaks etc and create the best environment possible for these plants. I guess that a lot of tropical can take these temps but I will need to watch the rain and damp with lots of them.

Thanks for the encouragement
Tim

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:58 pm

HI Tim and welcome to the forum.Whilst I would agree that the basjoo would be better in the ground I fear it may be a little late for this year for it to get its roots down before winter.If not to late I personally would go with your first idea move into cold greenhouse for this winter. Also agree your T.REX will probally be better of with some protection this winter.

Life is better in the garden

Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi Jimbo

Thanks for the advice. I have a small greenhouse so will overwinter the Basjoo in there along with the three sikkimensis that I have on my windowsill at the moment and I will get that T.Rex covered also. It is small so I presume I will be able to put some straw over the crown and drape some fleece over it unless there is a better way. I have just bought a smallish Dicksonia with a small trunk for £30 this weekend. The trunk is only about 4 inches tall but I am going to build up the border by my pond where there is a felled log. I think the fronds will look very nice 'falling' over the edge of the pond. I presume that the same applies regarding protecting the top of the trunk so straw and fleece again?

Thanks again
Tim

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]