The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Large tree blues.. 

Post Large tree blues..
I have noticed a real drop off in growth of my backyard plants..the always thirsty Mamaku's. I even noticed that some potted plants- safe from gophers- slowed to a near stop. Well,I tried to lift a 14" pot of Adiantum "Pacific Maid"..and it had rooted with thick roots to the ground. Well,I know this fern has no thick woody roots. The Podocarpus tree's are voracious..they will and have grown through drainage holes right into the pots of my plants. :evil: I went to a large Adiantum bulbiferum..same thing- thick woody roots. Ah!..my reason for all the slowdown.
I dont think there is much I can do. I have pruned those tree's greatly. But being 40 years there,they have a head of root steam in a small yard. All I can do is put saucers under potted plants. I also like that the Podocarpus block the view of my neighbors ho hum houses and and distant concrete block building. Birds nest in them.

Its a wonder the palms do as well as they do. Podocarpus roots must go right up to the the base of those palms.

So,its time to redo my strategy.

No wonder the Coffee "tree" is growing like a glacier. :|

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]