The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Another unknown GGP shrub. 

Post Another unknown GGP shrub.
Fuchsia? Or?

Also,I have seen this in Oakland and Hayward parks. I was going to ask- but I found that's it Rosemary. Love grows where my Rosemary goes..

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:12 am

Post Re: Another unknown GGP shrub.
It is an Iochroma.

I'm not sure of the differentiation between Iochroma coccinea, Iochroma gesnerioides and Iochroma fuchsioides.

It is one of them! Or are they synonyms?

Chad.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:09 am
Site Admin

Chad is correct I have one labelled as Iochroma gesnerioides from Bob Brown which absolutely refuses to flower.
It also grows in the very same way as in your picture Stan off at an angles sideways maybe I need more heat and some canes to train it upwards.

Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:35 pm

Its Iochroma fuchsioides. Chad nailed that too. Heck,I should have borrowed a cutting. :wink: Nice foliage,and I see when it really gets going can be covered in blooms- Annie's Annuals has one great modeling plant.
My Iochromoa coocinea is struggling with the dry and heat this time of year. Where this picture was taken ? It was a 22C day in San Francisco. When I got home to Hayward? it was 35C. I could see the rise on the vans thermometer by city. It was 28C in Oakland. North to mid bay. I imagine San Jose in the southbay was at least 38C.

Those Toyota Caravans are really nice btw.. :mrgreen:

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:54 am

Hey Stan,
Since you mentioned the interesting temp gradient from SF to Hayward I thought I would ask your thoughts on temps in Sonoma county.
I know I could look on the internet-----but like your thoughts.
I keep meaning to visit SF and have an interest in Sonoma because of a botanical garden there called Quarryhill. Supposed to have an incredible Asian woody plant collection -----many of which grown from seed gathered on plant expeditions. This is in Glen Ellen.
Also a cool sounding nursery called Sacred Succulents in Sebastopol. Also in Seb- a nursery called Sonoma Horticultural Nursery.
I'm thinking temps like SF?
Thanks!

green dream saturated

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 am

neobb wrote:
Hey Stan,
Since you mentioned the interesting temp gradient from SF to Hayward I thought I would ask your thoughts on temps in Sonoma county.
I know I could look on the internet-----but like your thoughts.
I keep meaning to visit SF and have an interest in Sonoma because of a botanical garden there called Quarryhill. Supposed to have an incredible Asian woody plant collection -----many of which grown from seed gathered on plant expeditions. This is in Glen Ellen.
Also a cool sounding nursery called Sacred Succulents in Sebastopol. Also in Seb- a nursery called Sonoma Horticultural Nursery.
I'm thinking temps like SF?
Thanks!

Summers their are very warm- wine country - compared to always cool San Francisco, Ted. In winter? High temps are pretty much the same all over the bay area unless you are out at the crack of dawn- THEN, you can have lows in Sonoma in the 20's and SF still at 40f.

Sonoma is a great drive for wine tasting and the scenery. You have to check out "Sideways" the movie.

Those nursery's are renowned. You are even near the Carnivorous nursery who's name escapes me and then there is the Great Petaluma Desert,with gobs of fat trunked and hard to get succulents.

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks Stan! "Sideways" sounds funny.
I see you suggested to Kev that September is a good time to visit SF.
What is November like?
Checking other places to visit, I remembered that Santa Cruz has an arboretum with some special Araucaria. Any thoughts on Santa Cruz?
Thanks!
Up here in Vancouver having HEAT too. 29 C the other day broke a record from 1967!

green dream saturated

Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:05 pm

neobb wrote:
Thanks Stan! "Sideways" sounds funny.
I see you suggested to Kev that September is a good time to visit SF.
What is November like?
Checking other places to visit, I remembered that Santa Cruz has an arboretum with some special Araucaria. Any thoughts on Santa Cruz?
Thanks!
Up here in Vancouver having HEAT too. 29 C the other day broke a record from 1967!

We went to the Bay area end Oct early November and weather was great, lots of sun cool nights but haze and fog most mornings but if you catch a storm coming in then its very heavy rain (we had one day like that)
We managed to see Berkeley Botanic , The Bancroft garden, and Santa Cruz all three well worth a visit even that late in the year, some of the higher altitude gardens and parks are shutting down by then so you need to check ahead

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:29 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Charlie!
Sounds good to me. I am very used to heavy rain in November in Vancouver---probably warmer heavy rain in SF and seems much less frequent.
I should invest in a new digital camera---maybe I should start a new thread about this.

green dream saturated

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]