The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Piper species 

Post Piper species
I have gotten hold on a few Piper species lately, but it seems the distinctions between some species are very muddy, and I'm not really trusting even the botanical gardens around me as they apparently don't agree with each other.

I'm especially doubtful on three plants I have:

• Piper longum, which seems to actually be Piper retrofractum or Piper arborescens
  • Piper nigrum, which might well be Piper tenue and is most definitely not Piper nigrum
  • Piper neoguineensis which... doesn't exist at all?

Is anyone around here knowledgable on these plants? I'll try to get pictures of mine later today.

Regardless of the identification of my plants, how do you make those handle winter? Do you think I should go for the colder veranda (10-15°C) with much light, or a warmer room that will also be darker?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Post Re: Piper species
So... here's what is labelled as Piper longum, but looks very much like Piper arboreum or some depictions of Piper retrofractum:

That was labelled Piper nigrum, but it is clearly something else. It looks like the plant they have in the botanical garden in Ghent that is labelled Piper tenue, but Google Image is useless there:

"Piper neoguineensis", but this species is pretty much unheard of:

Any clues or idea how I might identify these with some confidence?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:44 pm

Post Re: Piper species
I cant ID but could add Piper auretum as the easiest to grow. The leafs can be used for cooking. I once too had a Piper "nigrum" that turned out not to be in a warm greenhouse. What it was we never found out..also never bloomed.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]