The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Begonia luxurians 

Post Begonia luxurians
I bought a small Begonia luxurians cutting last spring
It is doing well, now about 60cm tall, but is looking a bit spindly. No side shoots.

How do I get it to grow side shoots and become more bushy?
Pinch out the growing tip?
Now or next spring?

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:06 am

Post Re: Begonia luxurians
It all depends!

If it is going to be kept warm and in growth then you can cut it back whenever you fancy.

If it is going to be outside [brave] or under unheated cover then you will lose the tip over winter anyway.

They come easily from long stem cuttings, so you could cut it back hard and use the pruning as cuttings.

I have just cut mine in the soil of the unheated polytunnel back to the ground as part of an autumn tidy up. I don't expect much regrowth until the spring.

It's funny how this plant has gone from a much sought after and much discussed rarity to a common plant that seldom gets mentioned. The change happened in one season when Bob Brown released it as wholesale plugs. Whatever demand there was for the plant was satiated at one go!

Chad.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:12 am

I plan on overwintering it on a bright windowsill indoors

Mine came from Dibley's
Wasn't expensive at all for a few cm rooted cutting

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:07 am

I have had mine in a largish pot for some years now. Attempts to maintain the long stems have invariably been met with disaster as they tend to overwinter aphids which then spread to other plants I keep in my frost free shed. My plant because of its great age has effectively produced a pseudo caudex and there are currently fresh growth from that area
Chad... I assume your polytunnel is frost free in Winter?

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:44 pm
Site Admin

I have tried B.luxurians twice outside it does not work in the Sub Tropical East Midlands :roll:
I find that new cuttings from side shoots grow easier through winter than some of my older plants which tend to die off in winter so a back up is always advisable.
I plant mine out in summer and they always flower just opening in the last few days....a great plant.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Andy Martin wrote:
Chad... I assume your polytunnel is frost free in Winter?

It was last winter; but then so was the garden.

Begonia luxurians was a 'returning perennial' in the open border for several years seeing -5C killed the top but it would reappear in about June. It just survived -9C in 2010, but was weak the next year and the following winter finished it off outside.

The absolute winter lows in the tunnel are not much different to the open garden, but it is nearly always warm the following day under cover, and off course it is drier through the winter than outside.

I'm constantly amazed at what a huge difference it makes to the range that I can grow.

It is never heated.

Chad.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:21 pm
Site Admin

I've kept two of them going for the past 5 years by plunging them in pots and leaving them out (under evergreen canopy) until there is a hard frost and then bringing them indoors. They really don't like the dry heat, so they go out again as soon as the frosty period passes.

They tend to die back quite a bit every winter, then they branch of their own accord, often from near the base, the following spring. I just prune the die-back off and let them get on with it. I do stake them, or the stems fall about. They look best about now. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow.

Although they reach about 1.5m height every year, they've never flowered. Might be too much shade, might be that they get high-nitrogen fertiliser because it's really the foliage I'm interested in. Not really bothered.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:15 am

One here in Nova Scotia and obviously it has to be brought indoors for the winter in this climate. As you see in far too small a pot and so was transplanted to a larger one a few days ago. This one flowers rather shyly but does set seed reliably, the flowers are quite insignificant.

john
23c & sunny

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:59 am
Site Admin

That's a beauty John about as big as the biggest one I have ever seen which was at the late Will Giles garden....very impressive!
Do you have to keep it watered through winter mine stay in my cool greenhouse but still require watering now and again?

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Kev

I started it on a very sunny roof garden and almost cooked it, it did however make a splendid root system from that torture. Then I moved it to my own garden but it simply was too crowded here. It got too big for me so it is now at the home of a friend, I get to see it regularly. Last winter she wintered it in a very cool room 12-15c and watered it very cautiously as had I. She's just moved it to a bigger pot so we're apprehensive that it will get a lot bigger.

john

23c & sunny

Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:12 pm
Site Admin

Photo from last week.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Now that's a brute! Well done.

john

22c

Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I think my Begonia must have heard us talking.
It has thrown up another growth from the base. Quite late in the season, but will see how it goes.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:44 pm

Good luck Art!!
K

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]