The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Musa Basjoo Question 

Post Musa Basjoo Question
Hi,

It was a pup I bought probably from Ebay, I buy everything from Ebay.. :mrgreen: near enough.

Every new roller comes with brown marks all the way up. It rains a lot where I live and its in a pot, Its raining so no pic at the minute. I am thinking its a water problem.

Thanks!

K

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:19 am

Post Re: Musa Basjoo Question
Hi Katalina,

I had the same problem in the past due to a leaf that stopped growing in the centre so the Basjoo decided to try a new leaf instead which had the marks as you described. After 2 or 3 leafs I was fed up with those mangled leafs so I shopped it down a notch which did the trick. My Basjoo was 3 years old though with a very healthy rhizome, I don't think a pup would like this treatment. Check the centre of the banana first for any dead material or mangled leafs and try to cut them out.
Bananas love a decent amount of water and Basjoos are hard to eradicate once established (at least in my garden, I have no experience with Basjoos in pots).

Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:46 pm

K.... sounds like your Basjoo suffers from the strangles. I have never had it on Basjoo but have suffered it on Ensete ventrocosum maurelli. From my experience I believe it was caused by warm growing conditions interrupted by much cooler conditions. In my instance it sorted itself out when warmer consistent temperatures returned.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:52 pm

It had a bad start last winter suffering with cold.

It did seem to recover but then started this 'browning' on new rollers. I have of course heard of strangles but would'nt know it if I saw it on mine.

I can get a new one but wait at least till June next time, what I was thinking when I bought it to get ahead during the winter but of course you can't second guess plants..

What I can do is remove it from the pot, look at the roots and repot it if it seems ok and house it over winter in the house. His Basjoo next door died but he planted his and the soil in the back leaves a lot to be desired.

Thanks Andy and Thuur!

https://ibb.co/eztDM5

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:25 am

Had the same thing on a dwarf M. ensete a few years ago. Turned out the ghouse's entire crop had that problem. Everyone reckoned it was a problem arising from the tissue-culture process. Mine gradually died over a few months of valiant struggle.

john

Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]