The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Botanical Garden Update Spring 2017 - PALMS 

Post Botanical Garden Update Spring 2017 - PALMS
Hi Palm lovers
Had a walk around the Botanical gardens today with my partner, as it was a lovely Spring day.
Took some photos of some of the Palms that i am keeping an eye on - ENJOY.

ARENGA ENGLERI

ARENGA MICRANTHA

BRAHEA ARMATA

BRAHEA EDULIS

LIVISTONA AUSTRALIS

LIVISTONA CHINENSIS

LIVISTONA DECORA

WASHY, BRAHEA, BUTIA

RHOPALOSTYLIS SAPIDA

RHOPALOSTYLIS SAPIDA

JUBAEA CHILENSIS

PARAJUBAEA TORALLYI (1)

PARAJUBAEA TORALLYI (2)

CEROXYLON QUINDIUENSE

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.0°c

Coldest Month
11.5°c / 3.0°c

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:51 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Botanical Garden Update Spring 2017 - PALMS
Thanks for the update Rod they all look like winter never appeared for the Botanic garden.
I see the Brahea armata is starting to trunk and the B.edulis is massive, way to big for my garden, -6c use to scorch most of the leaves so it was eventually dug up.
Stand out palm has to be that massive P.TVT looks good with a trunk but a bit tatty without in my eyes.....did you or the bot gardens get very cold this year?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:42 pm

I would give my left arm to have property with a stream running through it. That was my dream even as a teenager. Locally,I have seen Hayward homes with that..amazing to see shoals of shiners- minnows- shaded by an Orange tree. :mrgreen:

Those palms look fine Rod- no worse then my King Palms post winter. They grow out of most of it. Bay breezes wear even the new fronds down after a few weeks. That's for the Rhopies looking a bit worn. The others like Kev said,are impressive now. The Mountain palm with lush moss groundcover is a beautiful sight of nature.
Funny,that the botanical garden after decades just started this.
GW!

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:25 pm

Do you think that being by the riverbank makes a big difference to the microclimate there? My A. Engleri's fronds have been totally frosted in it's 2 winters planted out. And going by the frost damage on my Pitt Island Nikaus under some shelter, I'm thinking that slope down to the river must be more important than I imagined.

Also, did you see this plant? I don't know what it is, the dead leaves have been pruned off, leaving just the spear. I do know the damage happened before winter hit, it was like that in autumn from memory.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:30 pm

Kev Spence wrote:
Thanks for the update Rod they all look like winter never appeared for the Botanic garden.
I see the Brahea armata is starting to trunk and the B.edulis is massive, way to big for my garden, -6c use to scorch most of the leaves so it was eventually dug up.
Stand out palm has to be that massive P.TVT looks good with a trunk but a bit tatty without in my eyes.....did you or the bot gardens get very cold this year?

Hi Kev
Coldest overnight low at my house this Winter was: -2.8°c ( Christchurch airport approx: -4.0°c ) Not sure about the Botanical Gardens.

Here are the temps

JUN: Cant find the results for June at the moment
JUL: Av Max = 10.5°c / Av Min = 3.0°c
AUG: Av Max = 14.2°c / Av Min = 4.3°c
SEP: Av Max = 15.8°c / Av Min = 7.2°c

Yeah that Parajubaea is the fastest growing Palm i have ever seen.

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.0°c

Coldest Month
11.5°c / 3.0°c

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:52 pm

Stan wrote:
I would give my left arm to have property with a stream running through it. That was my dream even as a teenager. Locally,I have seen Hayward homes with that..amazing to see shoals of shiners- minnows- shaded by an Orange tree. :mrgreen:

Those palms look fine Rod- no worse then my King Palms post winter. They grow out of most of it. Bay breezes wear even the new fronds down after a few weeks. That's for the Rhopies looking a bit worn. The others like Kev said,are impressive now. The Mountain palm with lush moss groundcover is a beautiful sight of nature.
Funny,that the botanical garden after decades just started this.
GW!

Hi Stan
Those Rhopies still have pre-planted fronds on them, they should look better once grown out
The same can be said for the Livistona decora and australis.
The Arenga micrantha is loaded with spears which will open this Summer ( I will take a photo early Autumn to show you how it looks )
Its a shame that it took this long for the gardens to have a Palm area :cry: ( But it has now and is still growing :D )

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.0°c

Coldest Month
11.5°c / 3.0°c

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Someone called Simon wrote:
Do you think that being by the riverbank makes a big difference to the microclimate there? My A. Engleri's fronds have been totally frosted in it's 2 winters planted out. And going by the frost damage on my Pitt Island Nikaus under some shelter, I'm thinking that slope down to the river must be more important than I imagined.

Also, did you see this plant? I don't know what it is, the dead leaves have been pruned off, leaving just the spear. I do know the damage happened before winter hit, it was like that in autumn from memory.

Hi there Simon
Not sure about the sloping riverbank, most likely will make a difference, but you have to remember this is a large wooded area with no heat sources ( Its mostly grass and trees )
In saying that i did follow the temps for the gardens years ago and they were about 1°c to 1.5°c milder than the Airport was registering.
That Palm in your photo is a Dypsis decipiens looking like its nearly dead ( What a shame ) I did ask the Frenchman who is in charge of the Palm area if he needed help planting this magnificent Palm but he said he already had help. I don't remember seeing it - It may have been dug up.
I read in an earlier post that there was a leak in the irrigation system underground and rotted the roots ( Big mistake using underground irrigation with this Palm ) The soil here where its planted is rather heavy loamy / clay like, and given our cooler temps ( than what the palm will like ) the soil will stay moist year round.
This Palm only likes heaps of water in HOT summer climates - do not do this if you have cold Winters and only mild to warm summers.

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.0°c

Coldest Month
11.5°c / 3.0°c

Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:17 pm

I was there about a week ago. The Dypsis was still there, but just a solitary brownish spear, so not very obvious to the eye. Mine, I think died (unless a spear comes up this summer), and it is perhaps likely to have been too much water also.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:24 am

Someone called Simon wrote:
I was there about a week ago. The Dypsis was still there, but just a solitary brownish spear, so not very obvious to the eye. Mine, I think died (unless a spear comes up this summer), and it is perhaps likely to have been too much water also.

Hi Simon
I have 8x Dypsis decipiens and have been growing them for coming up 6-years ( and never lost one palm ) 2x have been planted out this whole time and i have 6x potted up and they all live outside year round. So i have a good understanding of their needs and what they hate.
Keep yours on the dry side ( but not like a cactus ) until it recovers.

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.0°c

Coldest Month
11.5°c / 3.0°c

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:41 am

Hi all,

I thought it would be a good idea to reply to some of the comments.

Rod, thank you very much for putting pictures of the collection! I was willing to do it but later, once the Arenga open up its new fronds. In one of the picture you posted its Butia yatay, not odorata(easy mistake done). I will replace the Dypsis this spring with another palm, not too sure which one yet. We have in the nursery a decent size Phoenix sylvestris, Jubaea chilensis or smaller Sabal mexicana and Trachycarpus princeps…I’m also naturally thinking Queen palm now. I’m very sad about the Dypsis, I planted it slightly higher than ground level with a layer of stones under it. The palm didn’t have underground irrigation (I would never do it), it was an invisible leak in one of the main pipe that was running straight into the plant. Once the leak fixed, we just had a very wet winter(and it seems to carry on with spring) and the last green spear was broken by someone. I’m sure your advice would have been very valuable Rod but I’m not sure about your help as the palm was several hundred kilos and the job done with a digger(imagine trying to explain the contractor how to get the job done properly!). Saying that, I have learnt a lot from my mistakes!!!!

Kev, Brahea edulis has been growing quite fast here and all through winter! I didn’t expect so much growth. There is a beautiful specimen in one of Christchurch sea suburb.
Winter was mild this year, the coldest temperature recorded at the gardens was -2.7c on the 30th of July. I’m not sure anymore if it truly help the collection to have a mild winter! The palms keep on opening up slowly(Nikau, Livistona) and the new fronds is then more likely to be damaged by the occasional frost.

To all…and especially Rod regarding: “Funny, that the botanical garden after decades just started this.”. The idea of developing a hardy palm collection was describe in our 2007 management plan and the diversity of the collection is mainly due to the forum and Rod’s experiments!!! More and more people love the idea. Yyyeeewww Growing on the edge!!!!

Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:47 pm

I remember the few unusual palms from, I think around 1990, behind the old nursery. From memory there was a Butia, a Sabal and a Chamaerops. I knew nothing about palms, but I knew they were kinds I hadn't seen before. And I remember being very excited to see them moved to their new location a couple of decades later, with a whole bunch more!

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:31 pm

guillaume56 wrote:
Hi all,

I thought it would be a good idea to reply to some of the comments.

Rod, thank you very much for putting pictures of the collection! I was willing to do it but later, once the Arenga open up its new fronds. In one of the picture you posted its Butia yatay, not odorata(easy mistake done). I will replace the Dypsis this spring with another palm, not too sure which one yet. We have in the nursery a decent size Phoenix sylvestris, Jubaea chilensis or smaller Sabal mexicana and Trachycarpus princeps…I’m also naturally thinking Queen palm now. I’m very sad about the Dypsis, I planted it slightly higher than ground level with a layer of stones under it. The palm didn’t have underground irrigation (I would never do it), it was an invisible leak in one of the main pipe that was running straight into the plant. Once the leak fixed, we just had a very wet winter(and it seems to carry on with spring) and the last green spear was broken by someone. I’m sure your advice would have been very valuable Rod but I’m not sure about your help as the palm was several hundred kilos and the job done with a digger(imagine trying to explain the contractor how to get the job done properly!). Saying that, I have learnt a lot from my mistakes!!!!

Kev, Brahea edulis has been growing quite fast here and all through winter! I didn’t expect so much growth. There is a beautiful specimen in one of Christchurch sea suburb.
Winter was mild this year, the coldest temperature recorded at the gardens was -2.7c on the 30th of July. I’m not sure anymore if it truly help the collection to have a mild winter! The palms keep on opening up slowly(Nikau, Livistona) and the new fronds is then more likely to be damaged by the occasional frost.

To all…and especially Rod regarding: “Funny, that the botanical garden after decades just started this.”. The idea of developing a hardy palm collection was describe in our 2007 management plan and the diversity of the collection is mainly due to the forum and Rod’s experiments!!! More and more people love the idea. Yyyeeewww Growing on the edge!!!!

Hi Guillaume56
Hey mate i love what you have been doing at the gardens, its looking nice.
Your extreme low was pretty much the same as mine, which was -2.8°c
I am very happy how the Ceroxylon is coming along - its much bigger than it was 3-years ago ( Do you have any spare ones ) Who did you purchase it from ?
Regarding the irrigation issue ( I could not remember what happened a while ago when you mentioned about the Dypsis not looking very well ) I got my wires crossed - that's sorted now.
My Queen is growing well, but its sheltered from the southerly winds by the house sitting just behind it. So if you decide to plant one put in warm sheltered spot.
That Arenga micrantha is a favorite of mine, and that is gonna look awesome when all those spears open up this summer.
Its great to see the collection growing - keep up the good work.

Regards,
Rod.

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.0°c

Coldest Month
11.5°c / 3.0°c

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:39 am

Someone celebrated Guy Fawkes too hard! I hope the Trachycarpus will come back!!!

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:00 pm

guillaume56 wrote:
Someone celebrated Guy Fawkes too hard! I hope the Trachycarpus will come back!!!

Oh that's not good - do you know who did it ?
How are the other Palms ?

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.0°c

Coldest Month
11.5°c / 3.0°c

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:54 am

It happened last Saturday night so we naturally don't know who did it. The other palms are fine, the Arenga-Jubaea-Ceroxylon are slowly opening up :D , I dug up the dead-rotten Dypsis :cry: and got a black bird nesting in one of the Nikau :shock: .

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next