The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Our garden October 2017 
Site Admin

Post Our garden October 2017
A few shots from today of our garden a succession of mild winters since 2010 has helped a lot.
The lowest temp we have had since then is -4.4c and all unprotected Dicksonia antartica have remained evergreen.
Musa basjoo was moved elsewhere after 2010, it did not do well, so 2012 we moved it to the back door again.
One of the stems are flowering and the leaves are now above the roofline :shock:

Xanth glauca below now has a roof over it

This was a seed grown plant from China (below) which I gave to quite a few to friends it would be interesting to hear if any are still about...never really did get a positive i.d?

Schefflera delavayi where my dearly departed S.chapana used to grow with an understory of around 20 Chamadorea radicallis

Begonia luxurians

Trachycarpus latisectus front and T.martianus rear

Chamadorea microspadix has around 6ft of "trunk" now see below

Fatsia polycarpa (Edward Needham form)

Butiagrus

The red Musschia woolastonii is seed producing now whilst my Hedychium maximum, which is planted out under the basjoo, is again struggling to flower

Even the potted H.maximum is going to be touch and go as to whether I get to see those yellow flowers.

Jackie edged our borders with the common spider plant I told her they would die in winter ......7 years later they are still there. :roll:

These new leaves are going to get frazzled on my C.revoluta , its way to late in the year, this has been unprotected since planting 2011 a kind of test plant.

Brahea armata will have a roof over it to keep it dry

Behind the Brahea I have planted Edgeworthia chrysantha "Red Dragon" something I am very excited about as its still alive.

This is the front of my Jubaea chilensis we have pruned a few leaves for the T.nanus below to survive

For the purist the rear of the Jub has had no leaves pruned off it and all leaves are new from 2010

Some Chamaerops

Love the all year colour on this Trachelospermum

Euphorbia stygiana subsp. santamariae

One of my Juania australis

This side we have Woodwardia unigemata which just stayed evergreen at -11c in 2010 (rock hard)

This side is Woodwardia radicans and Cyathea cooperi which have a plastic cloche over them but they were also outside in 2010

Dicksonia fibrosa I cover this with a blanket when frosty as it very late to flush new leaves and looks not so good with brown leaves for most of spring :idea:

#loveblechnums

Mahonia "Soft Caress" and Trithrinax brasilensis

A new Butia this year will I ever learn

One of the 3 water rooted cuttings from years ago Schefflera taiwaniana

Heychium ellipticum flowering at the moment in front of my Richea dracophylla

Richea pandanifolia

The big Puya is planted out but I have not tried the others.....yet! :lol:

Just getting the greenhouses ready

Trevesia palmata

In 2010 this Chamaerops humillis "Cerifera" was cut in half by me it has since come back from the brink quite well

Melianthus major had multiple flowers this year and has managed the last 6 winters fine I do not cut it just leave to its own devices

Scheff t and Cordyline indivisa

I could not end those pictures with a trunk of a Cordyline indivisa :lol: so I thought I would go with a splash of colour.

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Post Re: Our garden October 2017
Kev it looks a wonderful collection of exotics and your garden is on my must visit list. Thanks for sharing.

John

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:46 pm

The Begonia luxurians ist my favorite in your garden. What is its hardiness?

Michael

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:55 am

Kev,

You are so much better at 'gardening' than I am!

My plot tends to being a collection of plants, but you achieve so much more.

Your unknown yellow flowered shrub is a Senna. The speciation of the genus is a bit beyond me but I think that one is Senna bicapsularis. I've never known how you tell Senna from Cassia, and it might have gone back to Cassia bicapsularis again by now!

Michael,

Begonia luxurians is usually quoted as only hardy to 0C. It survived here outside and took -3C and behaved as an herbaceous perennial for some years, but was so slow to regrow each summer [and not sprouting until June most years] that it would have been better to have brought it in for the winter.

Chad.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:29 am

Kev you have a very beautiful exotic garden with a large collection of plants, and your tree ferns grow on a natural way, a lust for the eye :mrgreen:

Eduard.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:58 am

Stunning! I can only aspire to have a garden as good as yours one day.

James

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:29 am
Site Admin

Mic wrote:
The Begonia luxurians ist my favorite in your garden. What is its hardiness?

I have kept a couple of these growing for 5 years now. They reach about 1.2m by Autumn. I keep them in pots that I plunge in the garden every spring, under evergreen canopy.

They tolerate light overnight frosts easily, but whenever there is a sustained or hard frost, I pull up the pots and take them indoors. They really dislike warm, dry indoor conditions and I do not have a greenhouse, so as soon as the frosts are over, I put them right back out again.We have had a succession of mild winters, so I suppose they've been outdoors about 50 weeks per year since I acquired them.

I know other people who have tried to grow them in the ground in southern England (USDA zone 9), usually with a pile of mulch on top during winter, but they tend to decline over the course of a few winters and eventually die.

P.S. Love the photos, Kev. I really must try growing Edgeworthia.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:17 pm

You and Jackie have a very special garden. It does not even look like October. I have leaves and general green detritus cluttering up the garden. It's annoying esp when it looks like you have removed every excess blade of grass with tweezers. I share Chads sentiments as you highlight my inadequacies!

It's amazing how much growth you have received since that bad winter in 2010. How your garden has bounced back. How upbeat and positive you have been. After 2010 my plans changed but you're not having any of it. It's been a bit quiet on the forum recently but whenever you post something like this lurkers emerge from the shadows. Pied Piper.

Mo

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:30 pm

Assured combination of plants and planting.

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:40 pm

You make me sick! Nobody should have to look at pictures like that....what were you thinking man? :mrgreen:
Anyways, I had chlorophytum edging at various times during the eighties. A lot hardier than you know. Severe wet and cold normally does them in. Trying now with tradescantia pallida, should last until the palms give some semblance that I've made an effort

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:34 pm

Amazing collection Kev. I'm sure you lost many over the years but it's nice to see you're still pushing the limits.
You're also a very brave man to post pictures of your C. Indivisa :D

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Well done Kev.... that garden looks superb. Its come a long way since the low of December 2010. That is an amazing Schefflera tawaniana you are growing next to the Cordyline indivisa. Is it from Crug?

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 pm
Site Admin

Cheers guys its good to share I always like to post some end of year shots just in case re:2010

We have always tried to create a garden instead of a great collection but a garden of this sorts needs protection else I would just have 2 greenhouses full of plants each winter oh wait a minute I do. :roll:

I believe if you are prepared to do the work for winter you will benefit the following spring.
It still amazes me to see my Xanth glauca and Cyathea cooperi still alive the following spring both have been below the -11c mark.

I still love to buck the trend and try plants you would think should not have a hope in hell of growing.

For instance a Carob tree (Ceratonia siliqua) I am still surprised no nursery owners have tried importing these street tree's.
They would look fab with their gnarly trunks mine was zapped to the ground in 2010 but is back up growing again.
These seeds germinate like cress so a good plant to try from your holidays you just have to find the long seed pods.

Imagest a few other shots taken today

This maybe a failed attempt as the Fasicularia seems to have eaten my Cycas revoluta in the centre

Thanks for the compliments guys keep pushing the limits.
Andy the Scheff t is one of 3 I managed to root from water cuttings many years ago the shoots came from Ewen Brown

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Absolutely stunning pics, Kev. Your garden is a great credit to you. Some really lip-licking plants there.
Incidentally, I reckon your unidentified yellow flower is Cassia bicapsularis, rather than the very similar Senna.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:26 am
Profile WWW

Great to see your garden thriving Kev. It's come a long way from 2010!

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next