The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Holy Grail plants for 2018 

Post Holy Grail plants for 2018
I keep an informal list of plants that I'm after if ever I see them [or seed of them] available.

At the moment my list includes;
White Erythrina
Erythrina acanthocarpa and zeyheri.
Xerophyta retinervis
Bomarea pardina [but I might try B.uncifolia for which seed is available].

What are you on a 'Quest' for this year?

Chad.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Post Re: Holy Grail plants for 2018
Xerophyta is a great looking plant, it should do well with all your natural brush fires :lol:

I’m always searching for Schefflera rhododendrifolia (or any other ‘hardy’ schefflera) as its not available here in the states.......someday.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:15 am

Pretty sure Graham at Plantbase had Xerophyta at the Hyde Hall summer plant fair, Chad. Not cheap, mind you.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:38 am

I tried Xerophyta retinervis last year, from Silverhill seed - predictably with no success. I should check with a friend I gave some of the seed to to see if he had better luck. Come to think of it, I think South African plants must not like me - I got quite a few packets of Asteraceae including Edmondia and Hymenolepis which are supposed to be easy germinators, and from them all got one solitary seedling of Brachylaena neriifolia (which I suspect is about to be hardiness tested as I forget where it is - somewhere outdoors!).

I'd love to get my hands on Boquila trifoliolata - if only to experiment with its shape shifting abilities! Crûg listed it but now out of stock.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:40 pm

Tim B wrote:
I’m always searching for Schefflera rhododendrifolia (or any other ‘hardy’ schefflera) as its not available here in the states.......someday.

Do you grow from seed?

I should have some rhododendrifolia ripe in a few weeks.

S.enneaphylla may be available later if we have a mild winter.

Chad.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:04 pm

White form of Swainsona formosa.

Musschia wollastonii (having lost my three large plants when a pane in the greenhouse shattered in a -6°c frost).

Salvia divornum and S.gesneriiflora 'Tequila'

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi Tim,
A nursery near Seattle called Windcliff Plants has S. rhododendrifolia as well as S. alpina.
They don't do mail order though.
Next year I will do US plant shopping (I live in Canada). I have a friend who owns a nursery in WA ---maybe I could ask if they could send a S. rhodo- to you (I could buy it since I will visit both nurseries).
Or maybe you know someone in WA.
My Holy Grail plant list includes:
Quercus tarahumara
Espeletia species-----Kev inspired me
Carpinus fangiana----seems easy to get in UK
Lots of others---probably won't get any in 2018----but the looking and hoping is half the fun.

green dream saturated

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:11 pm

Loved the Xerophyta at Hyde Hall Plant Fair, but no use in my wet climate.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:57 pm
Profile WWW

John,

That rather resplendent specimen has dropped it down my list of wants a bit!

Keith,

S.gesneriiflora 'Tequila' seed is available here.

Salvia divinorum is of dubious legality under the [itself very dubious] Psychoactive Substances Act 2016. We await test cases to find out what this act actually means!

Good luck sourcing the white form of Swainsona Formosa. The 'usual' Australian sources don't list it.

Chad.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 am

Chad,

I would be greatful for S. rhodo seed. I may get Schefflera delavayi seed if I can keep seed pods alive for another month (winter is coming fast). I can also trade you Yucca ‘filamentosa x rostrata’ X ‘filamentosa x elata’ and/or reverse cross if your interested. These are two amazing hybrids crossed onto each other.

Yes, I grow everything from seed. Currently some Rhododendron hybrids.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:28 am

Chad wrote:

Keith,

S.gesneriiflora 'Tequila' seed is available here.

Salvia divinorum is of dubious legality under the [itself very dubious] Psychoactive Substances Act 2016. We await test cases to find out what this act actually means!

Good luck sourcing the white form of Swainsona Formosa. The 'usual' Australian sources don't list it.

Chad.
Thanks for the Salvia link.

I (along with a couple of others on another forum) had S.divornum but I never kept it warm enough over the second winter. The plant is less of a holy grail than getting it into bloom is.

Yup, I'm banging my head against a brick wall so far on the white Swainsona!

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:11 pm

For anyone looking for totally silly 'Holy Grail' inspiration you could do worse than take a look at Andreas Kays Flickr pages;

Photostream...........
https://www.flickr.com/photos/andreaskay/

Albums............
https://www.flickr.com/photos/andreaskay/albums

An album for Chad.............
https://www.flickr.com/photos/andreaska ... 4744510659

One of my favourites............
https://www.flickr.com/photos/andreaska ... 4744798607

Anyway, I digress! Enjoy!

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Rare and unusual ferns
Particularly the dry growing species - Cheilanthes, Pellaea etc

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:40 am

My colder winter climate than most of you limits my list of such plants, some of which I recognize. Quercus tarahumara is surely one of the most interesting oaks of them all, but there's no way it would be fully zone 7 hardy. (also probably the case with the tragically beautiful Pinus lumholtzii) But I'm beginning to see this limitation as a kind of blessing, because my plant collecting mania seems like a mild mental disorder to me at times, as it is. If I lived in Cornwall, I'd have probably been committed by now!

In the past 5 years or so, I've managed to snag a lot of stuff I've been looking for, for some time. Camforest rarely has Taiwanias, but they had them and I got one. After seeing the famous one at Lago Maggiore, I was hooked. Likewise, I now have 2 small Dalbergia hupeana seedlings. This is the hardiest rosewood, growing for many years at the NCSU Arboretum but never offered for sale after that initial batch which I think was grown out by Woodlanders. I had to take the initiative of prodding Sheffield Seeds to get it from their Chinese suppliers. Hope it's true to name. Likewise after seeing a bunch of Toona 'Flamingo' in the Dandenongs, I worried I'd have to wait years to find it. It's not as common in the trade on this side of the pond. But luckily they showed up at Dancing Oaks. I'm actually reaching a point in the garden where I think I'll have most of the truly interesting trees and shrubs that can be grown in zn 7, continental with warm-wet summers climate. Well...what I consider interesting anyhow! It's always a HUGE relief to see a rare plant in an arboretum and realize it does nothing for me. Like the Keteleeria at NCSU.

Anyhow, my #1 obsession is going to be - for a long while I suspect - Bretschneidera sinensis. There's probably only a <= 50% chance it's actually zone 7 hardy...but there's that chance. If it is, it is surely the most spectacular flowering tree for a zone 7 climate. I say a long while because the fact it is so rare in the trade makes me think seed is incredibly difficult to come by.

A secondary one I suppose, would be a fruiting pair of Ilex purpurea, preferably cutting grown from the known hardy ones at the National Arboretum. They are as close to the look of a Ficus as you're going to get in this climate. It's really a shame they aren't more commonly planted. Apparently it's the most difficult holly to root of all.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:49 am
Site Admin

I do miss my flowering Espletia and my Meryta sinclarii and Cyathea dealbata

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next