The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Salvia id please 

Post Salvia id please
I've tried a couple of forums for an id on this one but nothing has hit the spot so far.

I bought it way back in April in bloom at an obscene price from Homebase expecting it to bloom through to the first frosts. However it was all over by June but it is now clear that it is a winter blooming Salvia as it is now budding up again.
The stem is woody and about 25/30mm in diameter at the base.
Loads of photos to help;
ImageUnknown Salvia by longk48, on Flickr

As you can see the foliage darkens to a nice deep green. Fresh growth is distinctly square stemmed and roots easily.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance..............

Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:54 pm

Post Re: Salvia id please
I've asked a nurseryman who knows a lot about Salvias, hope he will reply.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:23 pm

The leaf looks like it belongs to a Salvia guarantica spp. possibly Black And Blue, Enigma or Costa RicaBlue. How tall is the plant ?

Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:03 pm

I know what you mean about the leaves, the problem is the inflorescence seems much to compressed for any Salvia I know.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Can it be in some other mint family genus like Dracocephalum? Seems different than Salvia.

green dream saturated

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:00 am

Everyone - thank you all for your replies. I think that we are making progress!

TAZ wrote:
The leaf looks like it belongs to a Salvia guarantica spp. possibly Black And Blue, Enigma or Costa RicaBlue. How tall is the plant ?

At the moment it stands about one metre tall. Leaf wise it is similar to what I know to be S.guaranitica, maybe less elongated but more hirsuit.

I was unfamiliar with Costa Rica Blue so I googled Salvia guarantica Costa Rica Blue and got a hit from Flowers By The Sea who I regard as a fairly reliable source on Salvia..................
http://www.fbts.com/salvia-x-costa-rica ... duct_tabs1

To quote;
"(Costa Rica Blue Sage) Although this handsome plant is often listed as an Anise Leaf Sage (Salvia guaranitica), we think it is a hybrid based on differences in its growth pattern and flowering season."

As I said it appears to be winter blooming. Additionally it has a woody shrub-like habit unlike what I know as S.guaranitica which is tuberous/stoloniferous. So I continued to work through the results and came up with this..................
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/kew-182389

That seems to indicate that S.guaranitica is a synonym for Salvia coerulea. At this point I was happy to go with Salvia coerulea or Salvia coerulea 'Costa Rica Blue' and then I remembered that in 2014 my 'Black and Blue' produced three seeds. In 2015 one of the two plants bloomed and the similarity of the bloom to my mystery plant is there to see..................
ImageSalvia guaranitica seedling by longk48, on Flickr

The upper and lower lip are very similar although my bloom lacked a tube worthy of note. The inflorescence however was radically different. Whilst I grow a lot of Salvia I had nothing with upper and lower lips like this.

As always your thoughts are appreciated.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:06 pm

I acquired my Salvia guarantica about 7 years ago, it is a very woody plant upto about 1.2m. Every spring it gets pruned hard and take plenty of cuttings and give them away. It has grown to 2.7-3.0m high. Its flowering now and was also flowering early spring. when i acquired it, was labelled S. guarantica 'Black and Blue' . My understanding was , that this was renamed to 'Costa RicaBlue'. Ill have a closer look later and see the flower arrangement. Mine has set seed many times but for some reason they never germinated.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:40 am

TAZ wrote:
I acquired my Salvia guarantica about 7 years ago, it is a very woody plant upto about 1.2m. Every spring it gets pruned hard and take plenty of cuttings and give them away. It has grown to 2.7-3.0m high. Its flowering now and was also flowering early spring. when i acquired it, was labelled S. guarantica 'Black and Blue' . My understanding was , that this was renamed to 'Costa RicaBlue'. Ill have a closer look later and see the flower arrangement. Mine has set seed many times but for some reason they never germinated.

S. guarantica 'Black and Blue' as sold over here looks like this..............
ImageSalvia Black and Blue by longk48, on Flickr

ImageSalvia "Black and Blue" by longk48, on Flickr

These are of the plant that produced my seeds for the one that I showed in my last post. Typically up to 1.5 metres over a season it dies back in the winter and comes back from the roots and will spread too (root cuttings are a good way of propagating). Never really gets woody. As you can see the blooms are more or less on one side of the stem.

A recent introduction is S. guarantica 'Black and Bloom'.................
ImageSalvia gauranitica 'Black and Bloom' by longk48, on Flickr

Better foliage, slightly larger blooms and later to bloom as well. It shows no sign of spreading from the roots, instead it comes back from old growth that is not too frost damaged.

'Black and Blue' has one inflorescence per stem whilst 'Black and Bloom' produces new shoots (and ulimately inflorescences) at the leaf axils

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]