The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 La Palmeraie - introduction & my garden 

Post La Palmeraie - introduction & my garden
Hi everybody

Happy to join this forum as well! ... indeed, as most are probably also active on other platforms you might have a "déjà-vu" concerning this post. :mrgreen:
I've been "around" for many years but mainly on Dutch and French fora. Since only a couple of months a joined English spoken fora as well but those mainly focus on palms... so here I am. :wink:

I think it would be appropriate to introduce myself first for those who didn't already meet me elsewhere.

My name is Niek, I'm dutch but live with my wife and two children in Belgium not far from the french border.
Therefor I'm native dutch-french speaker but can help myself in English as well.

As said, I'm quite "new" on the English fora but am quite active in the Dutch, French (and a little bit the German) palmfora.
For a couple of years a even was the administrator of the Dutch/Belgian forum "Palmvrienden" and I'm also known by my own website "La Palmeraie".
The site is already quite populair among Dutch/French speakers but I now also have translated over 90 articles in English as wel!
The idea behind the site is that I try to use my studies (biology) together with my own experience to create/publish articles on things I missed online when I started but also main discussions as a complete summary of all the Trachycarpus species or to unravel once and for all the Butia genus naming mystery B). The complete summary of all the articles can be found here.

Enough said about me, now a little bit about the garden.
As said, I'm at the french border in a town called Ronse. This corresponds to USDA zone 7a.
I started the hobby in 2003 and therefore have seen winters down to -19°C / -2.2°F.
Mostly I work with palms, bamboo, bananas/taros and grasses. But you'll also find Albizia's, Cycas, Japanese maple trees, tree ferns,...
A complete overview of the collection can be found here.

I hope you will enjoy.

Kind regards
Niek

I live in my actual house since end 2009 and started creating from scratch literally in 2010:

Here how it is right now:

https://youtu.be/pHk1pCtqBSg

Kind regards
Niek

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:18 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: La Palmeraie - introduction & my garden
Hi Niek,

You have beautiful plants! Congratulations to your garden. Are you sure your garden is 7a? :wink:
http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-belgium-plant-hardiness-zone-map-celsius.php
Because, according to them, 9a. It's a mild climate.

Regards, Gábor

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:08 pm
Site Admin

Hi Niek,
Welcome to the forum you have some serious tempreatures to deal with how does your Phoenix canariensis cope?

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi

Thank you!

@Drosera: if only! :lol: ... officially it is considered a zone 9 indeed.. but the official maps are little realistic i think. I published an article on USDA zones not long ago and as you can read, the value should be calculate on all the extremes off the past 30 years. Even if the last winters I indeed didn't had to cope with temps much lower than -8°C, I had winters with -10°C (2013); -11° (2012) and even down to -19°C in 2008.

If you check your Budapest version of the map I'm almost certain that you do recon that you experienced lower temps than -12°C :wink:

@Kev Spence... Well till last winter when I didn't had the opportunity to protect it due to my absence and the temp went down to -7°C I now replaced it wit a lovely Jubaea :wink:

Kr
Niek

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:00 pm
Profile WWW

Pics from last week

And therefor I quickly mounted my first (and highest - 2m50) winterprotection over the Jubaea yesterday.
Only needs a shrinkfoil around it with openings on the bottom and top for ventilation. That will do for now.
Soon I will mount the others over the Chamaerops humilis 'Cerifera', Butia odorata and Cyathea brownii as well.
The Washingtonia's will be protected ad hoc.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Good stuff Niek nice workmanship on your woodworking skills they look far sturdier shelters than my own. :roll:

Have you had any serious minus temperatures yet we have been lucky so far, here at our place in central UK, just going to 0c.
We have had 12c today and 13c tomorrow but then snow is forecast :cry:

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Thank you Kev!
The temperatures aren't too bad actually, I didn't had lower than -2,2°C for this new winter season but we had quite some snowfall to be honest.

Next day I decided to build the other protections as well; Chamaerops h. Cerifera, Cyathea brownii, Butia, Trithrinax, Brahea,...
I didn't had much choise concerning the announced snowfall later that week. As a result I had to build all those in heavy winds and rainfall. :evil:

They are quite sturdy indeed as they have to cope with heavy winds from time to time. Yesterday we had up to 8 Bft ! You don't want this size of protection to flowing around. :wink:

Here some other pix from yesterday. All melted away the same day. Today we have had 5-10cm fresh snowfall.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Feeling the cold Niek we have quite a few snowy days to contend with at the moment hoping our -12 forecast is wrong.
I normally start with a few rooves over my palms last weekend in October....be prepared :idea:

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:42 pm

-12°.... aiie :oops:

Here this morning (sorry for having filmed it in portret mode...)

https://youtu.be/hzrQw-zENCQ

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Looks cold similar to over here in central England.......you have lots of space for more planting. :mrgreen:
Our -12 c was only -5.5c in the end but a few places did get that cold

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]