The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 2 Ferns getting larger.. 

Post 2 Ferns getting larger..
Asplenium australasicum on a concrete birdbath ( fitting!) now put closer to the ground and Cibotium schiedei in a 32 gallon container. Both are about 10 years old. I've been potting up plants in this small yard since they cant compete with the Podocarpus for water. Cyathea brownii is now potted,Asplenium Mouri Princess had been in ground even longer then ten years. I could not water it often enough. When I dug it up,all the rootball had tree roots through it. Even then, this year I will have to put saucers under all or the tree invades pots.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:43 am

Post Re: 2 Ferns getting larger..
Nice result Stan with the Asplenium australasicum, with such a small trunk it looks completely different :wink:

Eduard.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks Eduard. I wonder how tall a trunk they can grow? Unlike before,I found some interesting info on the net about these ferns. Not that I understand it all..but something about this ferns once called A.nidus is not and more closely related to a whole 'nother variant.
Maybe Tom could put this is in laymen terms while I lay down. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asplenium_australasicum
Here's a photo too of my plants ( put upside down) keel below,smooth above to A.nidus said to be smooth above and below.

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:18 pm

A. australasicum can take some frost, I believe - has your one, Stan?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:33 pm

It took 2007 30f four five mornings in row ( 30-33f) or -1C and 2013 with not even a mark on it. Its prone to insects or snail damage. Its gone pretty dry here and there over the years Paul- but it held up. It might be the toughest of the various Birds Nest Ferns sold. It also gets big. Even Wiki mentions this type gets a thick trunk. Hard to imagine it in a tree.. A tree fern in a tree.
I'm reducing my back yard also of the really water loving plants. Moving what I have closer together helps also. Tired of watering plants that have reached a limit because of the tree roots,AND the cost of water.
I'm really thinking of planting xeric type plants that can take shade. Its the future getting here fast..

Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:57 am

Stan, here are some pics I took of A. nidus in its natural habitat in the trees in Malaysia. Those fronds can grow to 4-5 feet long. Often the fern gets too heavy for the branch, especially after rain when the roots soak up the water, and the whole thing comes crashing to the ground.

Valdy

Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:14 am

Hi Valdy- lucky you to see A.nidus in habitat. The skirts show the almost non stop growth all year. I think I've had some kind of mess in active growth that never looked attractive like a true skirt would be- so I remove the old fronds.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]