The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 We set Dec14th record for warmth. 

Post We set Dec14th record for warmth.
We hit 73F or 23C. That broke the previous record of 67F ( 19C) set way back in ...2016! Before these back to back warmest ever December 14ths,we had held at 64F or (18C) since 1976..a drought year.
So far,we have had 9 years since 2000 be drought years. If this one holds true,its going to be 10 drought years in 18. :shock: Big eyes is right.
I can tell you as a lifetime bay arean and not somebody who's ever traveled in winter..it was a funny feeling to get a warm 73f breeze while the Christmas tree is up. The cats were at first warming in the sun..then they got too warm.
Poinsettia in town.

Loropetalum already in bloom looking like an Azalea.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:15 am
Site Admin

Post Re: We set Dec14th record for warmth.
Nice Stan that is like living in the Canary Isles though I do'nt envy your lack of rainfall and the consequences that come with it.
Here it is just a little cooler heavy rain last night and just 2c this Friday morning but the snow has gone for now! :lol:

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:48 am

This is where having small yards helps Kev. But,I wouldn't turn down a huge yard. Just be more resourceful. :wink:
In the mean time,its getting some plants in ground to a larger size,while being on the lookout for choice smaller plants so...always adding. Just slower.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:40 pm

Sounds nice. It’s cold and gross here, snow forecast again for tomorrow. On the bright side, hard freezes yet and none in the forecast which is good. I’ll be back in Texas for a couple weeks so hopefully there won’t be any because I won’t be able to protect anything..

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:39 am

Where in Texas Scott? You never know there..could be 30f or 80f.

Half way through the month and the hills are still brown. Today another balmy 18c..but we could go up a few more. Still a bit early. Its feeling very drought year like. One difference from some Decembers is so far is..nights have not been near frosty after clear days. We will see if that holds up.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:54 pm

I’ll be in El Paso. At 3000 ft elevation there are a lot of hard freezes there but days are sunny and often warm. Every 20 years or so there’s a freeze hard enough to kill a lot of Washingtonia robusta and Phoenix dactylifera. Nothing that severe in the forecast but at the moment it’s looking like we might well have a white Christmas!

Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:01 am

Our December there close to the Mediterrean is colder than average with the first freeze during the night 12th to 13TH of December (minus 2°C). We get either strong North wind or overcast days.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:53 am

Its still mild..I wouldn't say warm..but sunny and mild. The drop is next week they say. I am so tempted to garden- move plants etc, it feels spring like and some of the hardiest tropicals as still happy in low 60'sF Bougainvillea is in bloom,even a Cattleya has buds on it on the porch.
I feel like GOTE even more then ever. Pandanus looks good too...

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]