The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Cyathea australis potting compost? 

Post Cyathea australis potting compost?
Hi, can anyone advise on what mix/type of compost to use to pot-on my recently purchased small cyathea Australia? I am thinking full ericaceous but is this too acidic? Also does medullaris require different compost as I fancy trying to propagate some of these from spores?

Thanks Tim

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:21 pm

Post Re: Cyathea australis potting compost?
Hi Tim, I use a 2/3 part of good potting soil with 1/3 peat, there goes some blood and bone meal through and that is good for 2 years growth, I double the pot size if it is a root ball.

For sowing spores, you need neutral un-fertilized soil, which you have to steralize.

Eduard.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi Eduard

Thanks for the reply. I will do that and double the pot size like you say. Your thread and pics of your tree ferns are amazing. Your construction and woodwork skills are good as well as your gardening skills. I love the 'tent' and insulating sheets for the roots and use of the heating cable. I hope your ferns are still going strong through this winter. I guess the medullaris becomes even more of a challenge as it gets massive but well worth the effort for such a spectacular plant!

Thanks Tim

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:07 am

Thank you Tim, unfortunately because of health problems, I can not protect the big fellow in total this year I only protect the trunk, that saves enormously in work, the tent would also be much too high, if the winter spleen remains will the frond also stay good, everything is still green until now even after the snow!

Eduard.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:50 pm

Yes if the trunk can be protected I presume the fronds will grow back o.k. so that has to be the priority. It makes the job more doable but still one heck of a task so well done. I love all ferns, they are spectacular but graceful and a bit mystical too. The croziers are incredible when they unfurl! Bananas and agaves are my other favourites but I am trying my hand at growing a range of plants. I have a small garden though so limited.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]