The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ravenea rivularis. 

Post Re: Ravenea rivularis.
In fairness, from what I've read,including from people who grow them, they seem hardy to -5C to -8C.

The issue is that such raw 'hardiness' is often the only info given when it is in fact not the whole story, as you say. Hot summers with a few punctual winter drops to -5/ -8C is obviously quite different to what we have in the UK.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:22 pm

Nobody better than those of you living in the U.K. to know what can and can´t be grown there.
What doesn´t fit in with me is that at Roscoff, they are growing Rhopalostylis and Strelitzias outdoors, and on the south coast of Bretagne (France) they are growing the before mentioned "not so hardy" palms.
I think there isn´t a big difference between Bretagne and, let´s say, Torquay, Plymouth, Penzance, etc. in terms of latitude and climate.
"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:17 pm

julrodmes wrote:
Nobody better than those of you living in the U.K. to know what can and can´t be grown there.

There you have your answer.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:30 am

julrodmes wrote:
Yesterday´s temperatures: Min.16º-max.19º. Today´s 10º - 17º(probable max). This happens because of southern winds blowing hard and the Foëhn effect they produce.
Last December we "suffered" over 300 litres of rainfall, and cool temperatures. Averages for December here are: 13º-7º. So, these high temperatures are not usual. In summer, southern winds mean max, between 35º and 40º, and min, between 20º and 24º, but are very uncommon.
We also "enjoy" an average of 1.800 hours of sunshine a year (if lucky) which is not enough for many plants to develop properly.
Going back to "not so hardy palms". There are people on north-western coast of France (48º North) who are growing them quite easily, even Juania australis and more tender ones.

I never get to use this stat..but Hayward gets about 3,000 hours of sunlight a year. That's what I depend on to make up for mild summer temps that average about 25c or some summers 27c. Still,nothing like the rest of the country that gets into the 29c and more with warmer nights also.

Here's another stat I just came across. Hayward has the same climate as Tenerife..@1,800 meters :lol: Vilaflor to be exact.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2