The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 10b winter. 

Post 10b winter.
For the first time in years,we had a 10b winter instead of the usual 10a. This means,that all my banana leafs are green,Plumeria in mid January are still hanging on to leafs and even a bloom.Brugmansia are in full bloom and lush leaf. It means I picked a cup of cherry tomatoes on the 8th of January. Red ones. I'm sure David Feix out there someplace is also sighing the relief that anything newly tried and tender- will make it this winter.

Now,a bay area 10b is about 10f cooler than a Los Angeles 10b down south. Just as a Los Angeles 10b isn't anything like a Miami 10b.

So,I do have the heater on most mornings and I wouldn't plant anything subtropical until April or so. Forget the bikini's. But it is nice not to have all that minor setback to recover from like the other years...or more then minor in bad winters.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:28 pm

Post Re: 10b winter.
Stan wrote:
For the first time in years,we had a 10b winter instead of the usual 10a. This means,that all my banana leafs are green,Plumeria in mid January are still hanging on to leafs and even a bloom.Brugmansia are in full bloom and lush leaf. It means I picked a cup of cherry tomatoes on the 8th of January. Red ones. I'm sure David Feix out there someplace is also sighing the relief that anything newly tried and tender- will make it this winter.

Now,a bay area 10b is about 10f cooler than a Los Angeles 10b down south. Just as a Los Angeles 10b isn't anything like a Miami 10b.

So,I do have the heater on most mornings and I wouldn't plant anything subtropical until April or so. Forget the bikini's. But it is nice not to have all that minor setback to recover from like the other years...or more then minor in bad winters.

Mmmmmm, bikinis :lol:
I need a holiday :(

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Stan wrote:

So,I do have the heater on most mornings and I wouldn't plant anything subtropical until April or so.

Too true Stan. I get 11a winters around my nursery/orchard fairly often, I suspect 11b some years too. Not hitting freezing doesn't mean it's warm! Zone 10 and 11 in NZ still only gets mid-summer temps like mid-winter in Miami!

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 am

Location: South East coast, Vancouver Island - British Columbia
Nice to hear your winter is over. Mine ends March 20th.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:04 am
Site Admin

Ours will probably finish in May Barrie.....lol

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Zones are not as they seem sometimes. I mean if you average 51f...that's zone 12. 51 (11c) for a daytime temp is sweater weather. I guess I would even be happy at a regular z10a if our lowest low was 34f instead of 10b's 35f. Anything that's above the formation of frost works for me. After a a couple of back to back winters where we hit the freezing mark? I even came close to removing the Brugs and the Wigandia..even banana. These are large shrubs in my yard...seeing them at their worst from Dec-Feb is no fun gardening.
I noticed long ago that Ben and Troys climate produces subtropicals that never see a frost..like greenhouse perfect. If I can get five more winters in a row like this one... :lol:

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]