The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Some winter colour at 43ºN 

Post Re: Some winter colour at 43ºN
wow- we are on the same page in plants. I think the F.elastica might be F.macrophylla.
Cool about the Pandanus.. I bought one last year. Its looking good- but I can tell it doesnt like winter wet. You are getting me intersted in planting it ground- BUT,I have a terrific gopher problem. I might have to stay with a potted specimen. If it ever did thrive in ground,I dont know where I could use a 20' x 20' Pandanus. :lol:
I have a Monstera that fruits..but Possums or racoons eat the ripe fruit. All I saw this year after a long wait..was a stem that once had fruit on it.

I think we are still GOTE as we both are far from a tropical climate. One big freeze...

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:51 pm
Site Admin

Stan wrote:
I think the F.elastica might be F.macrophylla.

I grow two varieties of F. macrophylla and I used to grow F. elastica, green and variegated. I think the way the leaves are held in that photo, their central fold and their apparent rigidity, all suggest F. elastica. All my F. macrophylla plants have softer, more flexible, less leathery leaves that aren't held in that distinctive "V".

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 pm

I don't see a single red sheath. Why I didn't say for sure. It just might be an OLD cultivar of F.elastica still available in Europe. I've seen in town one cultivar with very narrow and grooved leafs. The only others I've seen were in 1950's and early 60's TV shows as office plants.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:55 pm

Julio have you tried Plumeria? A nice plant too is Ctenanthe tri color. It took me a while to hit on growing them well..they are not heavy shade lovers and like some sun and then dappled sun.
This was one plant that had been growing indoors for many years. Last year outdoors it did so well,I divided it into two. Now,I see both could go into large pots. Very showy plant- you never get tired of them.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:10 am

Hi Stan and David:
It´s difficult to tell ficus apart with these cell phone taken "lousy" pictures and from so far away. I do think it is a ficus elastica. I think the difference, apart from the "V" shape of leaves, which is right, with macrophylla is in the length of the petioles (they are twice as long, at least, as in elastica).
Ficus macrophylla var. columnaris (mine)
Ficus elastica
Ficus elastica rubra or decora (I´m not sure)
The ficus in the parking lot is an elastica decora (I think) or the original one. No varieties.

Stan. I do have Frangipanis in the ground. 6 of them, in different places, but none of them has set flowers yet, and they were planted 4 years ago
This one still keeps the leaves on. I have found out that those drom seed are much hardier than the ones from cuttings.
Ctenanthe is a very nice plant. I have it but in pots and not outside. I have 3 different varieties.
I have had a macrophylla columnaris in the ground for 20 years now. It is over 8 mts tall. Look at the girth and the aerial roots
I´ll write a post on ficus here, on the northern coast of Spain

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Looking forward to more to come! I've grown many of those plants,some form seed- like cup and saucer. I'm still tickled that you have a Pandanus. Whats a cold winter for you?
I found an internet record of Canbria's year. Cant be right. It say the winters are 48f and 35f..and no month is even 70f in summer. Whats the real temperatures?

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Hi, Stan. Remember that my pandanus is Furcatus. It comes from the Hymalayas. It is hardier than Utilis by far.
About temperatures for Cantabria ( not Cambria, UK) It depends much on where you are, since all the north coast and Spain as a whole, is very mountainous, and you can find many microclimates.
By the coast.
Yearly average is between 14 and 15 degrees Celsius.
Temps for January are 13 Max 6 min
Temps for August are 24 Max 16 min
The farther inland you go, the colder in winter but the warmer in summer
If you are on a south slope It is warmer both in winter and summer.
I Hope It is of help for you.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Beautiful! Is that a howea behind the strelitzia?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:06 am

Hi, Scottin
Yeap! There are 2 of them
I was very Lucky. I bought two Big ones for just 20€. Just The pot was worth It. They have been in the ground for 5 years now and have started to form trunks. Leaves are thrashed because this is a very windy spot.
I Will post pictures of Big ones around here. Some, 8 , 12 mts tall and with viable seeds!

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:05 am

julrodmes wrote:
Hi Stan and David:
It´s difficult to tell ficus apart with these cell phone taken "lousy" pictures and from so far away. I do think it is a ficus elastica. I think the difference, apart from the "V" shape of leaves, which is right, with macrophylla is in the length of the petioles (they are twice as long, at least, as in elastica).
Ficus macrophylla var. columnaris (mine)
Ficus elastica
Ficus elastica rubra or decora (I´m not sure)
The ficus in the parking lot is an elastica decora (I think) or the original one. No varieties.

I´ll write a post on ficus here, on the northern coast of Spain

Julio,

Are you 100% sure the macrophylla tree is the LHI form var. columnaris? I only ask because the leaf shape and comparative lack of aerial roots in your wet climate immediately suggest mainland macrophylla to me. Leaf shape is not a true indicator, but often the columnaris form has rounder leaves, and rarely the narrow leaf form like your tree. I have a LHI tree which at 20 years old has much more aerial roots than yours despite my drier climate, again suggesting yours might be mainland macrophylla. I did a post about this on IPS last year if you are interested. One of my favourite trees!

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php ... ent-814468

I'm looking for ward to your Ficus post!! Show me some banyans!

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2