The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 warm weather and high dewpoints 

Post warm weather and high dewpoints
Three years ago we had a period of warm weather with high dewpoints, which was treated with some scepticism by readers here; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9248&hilit=dewpoint

Currently it is fairly warm in NZ, and I measured air temp and dewpoint in my nursery area a few days back. This time I got photographic proof! Proof only of a out of focus shot of the measurement in that spot with a kestrel 3000. Please ignore the mess!

Air Temperature, 30.7C

Dewpoint, 24.3C

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:37 am

Post Re: warm weather and high dewpoints
So this means insanely high humidity right? In Japan in summer this is our norm. I take it this is unusual in NZ?

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:45 am

What might me make me even more :mrgreen: is if you had a decibel reader. 'Cause all I see is country quiet. No choppers or muscle cars to invade your space.
I tell ya..Hayward is really growing..and its all that many more on the same streets.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:40 pm

You can still get steam baked in a peaceful place Stan! Yes, dew points that high are common fare here, especially in early summer. I like dew points up to 22 C or so, and above that is a bit much. Once you hit 24 C it becomes very uncomfortable unless your naked and in the shade - tough to arrange in a place a busy as Japan :roll: BTW, according to Wikipedia, the highest dew point recorded was 35 C in Saudi Arabia in 2005!

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:55 pm
Profile WWW

Scott, yes it is unusual in my part of NZ, further north the RH can sit close to 100% for long times, but usually with milder temperatures. But even 25C seems hot when the RH is close to 100%. Down this far south the general rule is the higher the temperature the lower the RH. I still marvel how different the Jap/NZ climates are considering their similar size and latitude. I remember reading once that if you compare climate stats for the major population areas the Japanese cities are all colder in winter than any NZ towns in our winter, but even the coldest Japanese city is warmer in summer than even the warmest NZ city in summer. Obviously being so far away from any large landmass makes all the difference, as does our lower sea temps (locally the sea doesn't warm much more than about 22C, or drop much below 14C).

Stan and Tom, we're only 600m from the beach so it is fairly busy here ( :D ). My closest neighbour house is only 500m away! When I was a kid the dress code at the beach was fairly casual, full naked was not at all uncommon, but this seems to have stopped over the years, possibly everyone has become more body image conscious these days. Maybe also the skin cancer risk, which is bad in NZ due to high-UV coupled with lower summer temps allowing us to be outside comfortably in mid-day sun. While we don't seem to do the naturism thing on the beach anymore the coverage area of bikinis seems to have diminished a lot over the years, which is probably not a good thing. Possibly this concern is related to the fact I've reached the age that it is my daughters in the bikinis!

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:30 pm

Bennz wrote:
Three years ago we had a period of warm weather with high dewpoints, which was treated with some scepticism by readers here; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9248&hilit=dewpoint

Currently it is fairly warm in NZ, and I measured air temp and dewpoint in my nursery area a few days back. This time I got photographic proof! Proof only of a out of focus shot of the measurement in that spot with a kestrel 3000. Please ignore the mess!

Air Temperature, 30.7C

Dewpoint, 24.3C

Hi Ben
It has also been hot with high dewpoints in Christchurch for over 3-weeks now ( Dewpoints up to 20°c ) - No dry heat this year.

Those conditions of yours 30°c and 24°c Dewpoint would have felt like being on the Goldcoast / Brisbane in the Middle of Summer - Am i right ?

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.0°c

Coldest Month
11.5°c / 3.0°c

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:29 am

We had warmest ever February day at 81F (27c) last week. Every day for the last 10 days broke a record someplace in the bay area. Alas,it has come to an end with seasonal temps today and tomorrow with a bit of a warm up after that.
I had that feeling of buying large tropical plants at the indoor section and fill in open areas. Reality has returned.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:28 am

Stan wrote:
We had warmest ever February day at 81F (27c) last week. Every day for the last 10 days broke a record someplace in the bay area. Alas,it has come to an end with seasonal temps today and tomorrow with a bit of a warm up after that.
I had that feeling of buying large tropical plants at the indoor section and fill in open areas. Reality has returned.

We had about 3-4 inches of snow here in the city overnight and it’s still hanging around today. I imagine Tom had a bit more over at his place. The forecast shows seasonable temps over the coming week and even as high as 15C, which will be a nice relief. I’m about ready for spring at this point...

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 am

scottinfukie wrote:

We had about 3-4 inches of snow here in the city overnight and it’s still hanging around today. I imagine Tom had a bit more over at his place. The forecast shows seasonable temps over the coming week and even as high as 15C, which will be a nice relief. I’m about ready for spring at this point...

Yup, no need to worry about warm weather and high dew points just yet. I too will be happy to see anything north of 5 degrees!

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:18 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]