The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Cycas revoluta in Amami Oshima, Japan 

Post Cycas revoluta in Amami Oshima, Japan
I finally put together this video. C. revoluta is common throughout Amami Oshima and nearby islands. From what I saw, they grow mostly along the seacoasts rather than interior mountains. I don’t think temperature has anything to do with that since the entire island is essentially frost free. Wait to the end to see the giant colony of 60,000 individuals. Awesome stuff.

Sago Palms of Amami Oshima

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:31 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Cycas revoluta in Amami Oshima, Japan
Amazing. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:22 am

I really enjoyed that, ta muchly

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:00 am

Thank you for posting.

Most interesting and beautifully put together.

Chad

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:37 am

Hi Tom that is enjoying, thanks.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:57 am

Hello Tom,
Since you announced in a post your trip to subtropical Japan I was waiting to see the video. I'm subscribed to your channel and I just saw it. I think it's wonderful, the place is spectacular and I would love to visit it someday. Thanks for the documentary, I hope to see more episodes!

Mau

Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:23 pm
Profile YIM

Great photography/film...just sends you back into the chair to watch.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:20 pm

Very enjoyable breakfast viewing :D
Thanks for making and posting.

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 am

Also- Are those Alocasia macrophyllas? In the photo to the right,Papaya or Araliads?..are both of these native? Its amazing with all that warmth and rain, tree's cant overtake the Cycads for domination. They even make the Ficus work hard to stay.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:48 am

Stan, those are A. odora, a common plant throughout the southern islands. They can even be grown here in Fukuoka, but die back in winter. The plants in the photo are indeed papaya, which are from Central America as far as I know. I did see them here and there while on Amami Oshima, but they were always near human development.

That huge Cycas colony probably has been managed in the past, meaning woody vegetation may have been cut. This species appears to be common near the coast, growing in full sun on rocky hillsides, seaside cliffs and sandy dunes. My suspicion is that it has less competition in these tough environments since all the hardwoods I saw were windblown and dwarfed by the nearly incessant salt laden winds. Just a guess. They do seem to form large colonies rather than occurring individually. Almost any coastal area has them, while in the thick forest of the mountains I saw none.

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 am
Profile WWW

Authority's Tom have any problems with poachers? Those ancient ones would fetch a fortune.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:22 pm

Yet another great video, Tom. You are refining your art!

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:49 am
Site Admin

Finally got it to play.....note to self get a new P.C
Awesome sight Tom thanks for taking time out to film the food of the dinosaurs and post it on GOTE
What sort of height were the tallest its a bit difficult to see you need an assistant to stand under them.

It does surprise me how cold hardy this tree is, not -11c, but quite a few low numbers under that number.......one of my favourite plants in my garden.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm pleased you all liked the vid. I should have another out about the interior rain forest fairly soon.

Stan wrote:
Authority's Tom have any problems with poachers? Those ancient ones would fetch a fortune.

Stan, I don't know, but this species is so common on Amami that I doubt it. It has been cultivated in southern Japan extensively, so large plants can be seen in many places. Truth is you can buy them fairly inexpensively in Kyushu as well, just like bonsai.

Kev Spence wrote:
What sort of height were the tallest its a bit difficult to see you need an assistant to stand under them.

It does surprise me how cold hardy this tree is, not -11c, but quite a few low numbers under that number.......one of my favourite plants in my garden.

Kev, the taller ones were probably about 6 meters high, perhaps a bit taller. Like plants in the wild anywhere, they rarely grow as big as cultivated and pampered ones. I know of a few here in Fukuoka City, usually planted at the entrance to junior or senior high schools, that are truly gigantic - I'm talking 8 meters tall with over 10 stems.

The question of why this species is so cold tolerant is interesting given its native range. Even the coldest areas where this species naturally occurs rarely sees temperatures below freezing, and never in the Amami and Okinawan Islands. What is even more interesting is why this plant does not have a wider distribution, say into Taiwan and southern China, or even beyond. It is literally confined wholly to this tiny band of islands. Then again, almost every cycad species has a very confined natural range. Perhaps their cold tolerance is due to "genetic memory" of colder glacial periods.

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:59 am
Profile WWW

Beautiful as always Tom! I envy your travels!

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]