The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Weather does a total flip flop.. 

Post Weather does a total flip flop..
We went from a first week in February that was near 80f in average...to possible record cold Tuesday morning. I have to cover the Mango and move others in posts on to the porch. Some like Brugs and nanners..far too big to cover.
Near freezing called for in Hayward.. Inland? Well below freezing... a hard icy frost. San Francisco ? just a cold night. NO frost at all.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Weather does a total flip flop..
We too in Europe are expecting a deal of cold this end of February with -3c forecast for around a week at our place.
Historically the last week in Feb is always my coldest.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Its so sunny right now...and 15C. Cool after the 20C's...but one or two sites are calling for 0C. The last time THIS cold was early 70's this time of year and it does feel like a throwback..outside that wind Kev reminds me of riding a bike as a kid in this kind of weather. Fun then.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Bad for the tropicals to have such temperature swings! Reminds me of stories of plants that get killed in Florida at low temperatures that don't even touch the same plant in NZ, where frosty weather is always preceded by a long cooling down period. Not a 12 hour (or less) cooling down period!

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:44 pm

Yesterday was ~70f (21C). Today,57f (14C)..the morning will be cold..but not near freezing. Tuesday,I will report back on what was singed. Mango's and Ti plants will get some cover. I'm not wasting the whole summer when right now the Mango is full of flowering buds. Also..the Ti plants are prominent and Last years cold and rains defoliated them both. That's not happening this year. Not for just one night. Coverage!
We had 3 weeks of well above average...a 10 day stretch where oldest records were broken - Hayward had its warmest February day ever at 81f (27C). What a reversal.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:35 am

Mango was just too damn tall to cover. I gave up....but we never had a frost after all and I thank urban warming for that as it was stone cold outside the bay area in all directions. One low was said to be -6C. COLD.
A frost free year to a yard with Iochroma,Banana's,Brumgmansia's,Wigandia's is nice to have.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]