The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Cussonia paniculata 

Have you had a chance to test the hardiness of Cussonia gamtoosensis or natalensis? I have had the former for a couple of months and the latter for about a year, but no temps below about 1.5 C in that time. Thanks.

Jason

Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:52 am
Site Admin

Cussonia gamtoosensis

Is anyone else having a problem with this binomial? Every time I see "gamtoosensis", my brain says "come to your senses".

:?

Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:30 am
Yes, Darren - where did you get that plant!! It is fantastic. I NEED one..... :)

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:36 am

Have you had a chance to test the hardiness of Cussonia gamtoosensis or natalensis? I have had the former for a couple of months and the latter for about a year, but no temps below about 1.5 C in that time. Thanks.

Jason

Jason I am not the right person to judge hardinesss but I figure you won't have any problems with either one....do you have them in the ground or still in pots; I heard they are very good potplants
Any chance of a pic of your C.natalensis?

@ Darren that IS a nice coloured plant do you know if it is a subspecies?

@David , you could always use the name in Afrikaans: kiepersol

Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:41 pm

Post Both are in pots.
Charles, both are still in pots, since I haven't determined where they should go. I'll snap a photo of both of them (and the form of C. paniculata that I have) when I get back into town late next week.

I'm pretty fond of these members of the Araliaceae. They seem well-suited to my climate.

Jason

Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:11 pm

All of the Cussonia species with which I am familiar are likely to be found growing in rocky outcrops in habitat, so are well accustomed to growing within rock crevices. They also form immense roots if hardy for your conditions, so be forewarned that they may not be appropriate for squeezing into small areas next to paving or a house foundation. The roots can get 12 inches thick very quickly, and definitely can lift pavement as they search for water. While they tolerate limited summer irrigation here in California, they grow much more quickly with irrigation, which should be expected, as they come from areas of South Africa with receive summer rainfall. Also, the two most common species, C. paniculata var paniculata and C. spicata, will eventually get tree sized, and do you want something up there that could get large enough to blow down in high winds? I would think there is also the weight of all that stored water in the roots and trunk to consider, probably not the best thing for a planted roof top.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:09 pm

Luckily for me i have family living in Cape Town and now and then i manage to twist their arm in sending over certain plants that im after. Apart from Cycads that is :( you have to have a license to grow them in your garden over their :shock:

The Palm Centre also have the same type of Cussonia as me planted inside one of their greenhouses, perhaps they would know if it were a sub-species?

Cheers

Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:28 pm

A couple of years ago I have visited South Africa and during my travelling there I stayed a couple of days at Inkosana Lodge. They have a nice collection of native plants in the garden there, including beautifull Cussonia paniculata. Now and then they have some frost in winter there and even rarely some snow. I also made a dayhike to Sterkhorn not far from there and higher up into the mountains. I also saw some Cussonia overthere, with a bit blue leaves. They grow on open rocky places. That area is very rich in plants and some gardenplants grown in England like Agapanthus campanulatus are growing wild on Sterkhorn up to 2500 meters. There is also an coldhardy Encephalartos found there. The Cussonias you can see on pictures of Inkosana Lodge. Maybe its the most coldhardy one.

Alexander

Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:33 am

Post Re: Cussonia paniculata
Thought I would bump this topic up again, anyone still growing this successfully outside, or was it a no go after 2010. Thanks Jason.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:00 pm

I was going through Charles pics and when I got to Cussonia zuluensis I became somewhat shocked :wink: Have I got a virus or what? How does a picture of a naked lady in a bath replace a picture of a plant when clicked on?
Interesting thread BTW. Vary rarely hear from Darren Hobbs on the forums now. He had some very interesting plants in his garden.
Sorry Jason but can't answer your question but unlikely anything survived 2010.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:50 pm
Site Admin

Sorry Andy I have now removed your naked lady...lol

I still have a Cussonia but they live in a pot Cussonia paniculata grows into a monster and I have had to give it a chop from time to time.
I do have Cussonia paniculata subsp paniculata which is totally opposite it just plods along in the same pot for years very strange!

Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:21 pm

My plant was cut to the ground in the winter of 2010/11 but amazingly the caudex survived -10 and regrew the
following spring as a 3 headed plant.

Its still alive and growing nicely but its very slow when cut down but is proving to be quite a tough plant.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:18 pm

Darren, do you protect this at all?

Bit of a boring story but I am very interested to see yours growing back. Several years back I had both C. spicata and paniculata that I wanted to grow outdoors. I'd read that C. spicata was more tender so my plan was to plant that first as a sort of sacrificial lamb, believing I was allowing myself a bit of time to grow on the C. paniculata in order to make it bigger before planting. Then when I lost the spicata I would replace it with the paniculata.

Growth in the first year was fine but the spicata got cut to the ground by around -3C. However, come spring, it started to spout again from underground and, after a couple of years of behaving 'herbaceously' actually made around 1.5m of fairly vigorous multi-stemmed growth annually and got too big for the spot. Pic below from 2003 - you can just about make out the cussonia below the campsis (which also had to be removed as it was swamping everything!)

I decided to move it to somewhere more accommodating and, of course, lost it. I planted the C. paniculata in its place and that was cut back by -6C and didn't regrow! If I can find a space I will have to retry it as your news is really encouraging.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi Paul I only tried to protect it one year and managed to make it rot and die, it did once again regrow from the caudex though so I don't bother trying to protect it anymore.

This particular plant was grown from seed collected at high altitude in Zimbabwe so probably the reason it's tougher than most. I noticed this summer that there are a few smaller plants growing from the caudex underneath the main 3 heads with about 20 cm of trunk, I could cut one off in the spring and send it to you if you want to try and root it yourself? I owe you a plant anyway as you sent me seeds of the fantastic silver leaved Dasylirion you found on one of your Mexico trips.

I guess though if it's a cutting it might not develop a caudex? so would be interesting to see if it regrew from the roots or not?

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:59 am

I'll send you a PM.... :)

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next