The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Spring Growth 

Post Spring Growth
Spring is springing into growth out in the garden.

Crytomium fortunei

Farfugium japonicum

Osmunda japonica

Polystichum polyblepharum

Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:00 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Cracking pictures Tom my Crytomium fortunei is only just unfurling as we speak goes to show your warmer spring temps.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:38 pm
Site Admin

Well, since two of you have done it, I'll bother: it's Cyrtomium.

I do wish I could persuade my canmera to take photos like that :wink: .

Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:05 am

Kev, did you save this post from the digital camera forum (and certain oblivion)?

David Matzdorf wrote:
Well, since two of you have done it, I'll bother: it's Cyrtomium.

I do wish I could persuade my canmera to take photos like that :wink: .

Duly noted David! Any reasonable camera (Nikon Coolpix models for example), a little time, and an image editing program, and you are on your way to taking nice photos - maybe not award winning quality, but nice!

Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Any reasonable camera (Nikon Coolpix models for example), a little time, and an image editing program, and you are on your way to taking nice photos - maybe not award winning quality, but nice!

I have a Canon 350D, it's a decent DSLR, although I'm still learning it after a year.

I have Photoshop, but all I really use is the sharpening tool and occasionally "apply image" to intensify the colours.

What I admire about the really good photographers here is the sharpness of focus (tripod?), the intensity of the colours and, especially in your case, the chiaroscuro.

When I try to intensify colours, my shots turn garish. When I sharpen the photos, they tend to get white glints and artefacts, so I back off and leave them slightly fuzzy. And I have no idea how you get the depth between foreground colour and background shadow that you achieve.

It's true that my vision isn't anywhere close to perfect - I have to squint hard through a view-finder to get the focus right and, in less-than-perfect light conditions, I can think something is in focus when it isn't. And I don't own a tripod. But I can compose a shot well enough and I should be able to adapt it using a good editing programme. Either I don't understand the capabilities of Photoshop or I'm not starting with adequate raw material.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:54 pm

I have a Canon 350D, it's a decent DSLR, although I'm still learning it after a year.

I have Photoshop, but all I really use is the sharpening tool and occasionally "apply image" to intensify the colours.

What I admire about the really good photographers here is the sharpness of focus (tripod?), the intensity of the colours and, especially in your case, the chiaroscuro.

When I try to intensify colours, my shots turn garish. When I sharpen the photos, they tend to get white glints and artefacts, so I back off and leave them slightly fuzzy. And I have no idea how you get the depth between foreground colour and background shadow that you achieve.

It's true that my vision isn't anywhere close to perfect - I have to squint hard through a view-finder to get the focus right and, in less-than-perfect light conditions, I can think something is in focus when it isn't. And I don't own a tripod. But I can compose a shot well enough and I should be able to adapt it using a good editing programme. Either I don't understand the capabilities of Photoshop or I'm not starting with adequate raw material.

Well David, you challenged me with the word 'chiaroscuro' - had to look it up! Yeah, my photos do tend to look a bit unreal, but that is my intent, to add something different to them, to make them different from true life, and yet to be faithful in their reproduction of life - an impossibility? Maybe.

Your camera has plenty to make good photos, even great ones...after all it is a significant upgrade from my simpler model (EOS 300D Rebel). Yes, use a tripod and you'll get better results. I shoot everything on a tripod unless of course I can't or if shooting faster than 1/60 of a second. My preference is deep depth of field and often that means long shutter times. Regarding using Photoshop, it is a very deep program, much more than most folks would ever need. I strongly suggest that you first check and adjust the light levels, then color balance, then the sharpness, and then the contrast. Of course resizing photos is necessary and will effect the look of the shot as well since the program has to approximate pixels in the reduction. This greatly effects sharpness. Remember also that you can fade out any applied filter, light level, etc. by using the fade option on the edit menu. There even are automatic level adjustments and so on, but I find they don't always work that well. Photography for web viewing and printing are two different animals, and Photoshop has got the mojo to handle both easily. I highly recommend you look at the various tutorials on the web that help you learn the ins and outs of this software. Youtube has a plethora of these. Take your best starting material and play with it until you get something you like. It took me two years of playing to get results I liked.

Have fun!

Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:21 pm
Profile WWW

Spring growth continues at an ever increasing rate. Some things in the garden today:

Pteris wallichiana

Osmunda japonica

Closer

Saxifraga stolonifera

Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Cracking shots Tom and yes I saved your thread from certain oblivion.... :lol:

I was intending to try some Super macro's shots myself but the bl##dy camera will not switch on and Jackie's now shoots everything in red....... :cry:

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:57 pm

Post I miss macro
Not sure why I'm chimming in. My point and shoot has had a broken LCD for months..making macro shots impossible and when I do zoom in-its all guessing if its centered or if it's clear now.
I guess I even more appreciate great shots since It takes a lot of luck for me to take a good one.
The store I bought it at went out of business.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:22 pm
Site Admin

Bad one Stan how do you get a cracked lcd?

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:47 pm

Placed it in my pocket on 20 minute drive..that's all the pressure it took. Sitting 20 minutes. I never meet anybody who doesn't do the same. All I can figure is that my Canon 590 has an oversized LCD,making it more vulnerable. On a bigger camera,I wouldnt have been able to pocket it.
Most likely I will wait to get another camera unless this can be repaired dirt cheap.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:23 pm

You know Tom, some of those fern shots look like space nebula-

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:25 pm

Great shots Tom. That Saxifraga stolonifera looks interesting. Just out of curiosity, how do you set up the shots with the black background? Some of them look like they're spliced against an edited black background? Especially the Osmunda japonica - I can see a few sneaky mouse cloning marks!!

Ewen, easy to do - black fabric. The one Osmunda shot wasn't completely black, so I did paint the lighter areas, but in my haste, I missed a few places. Usually this isn't a problem since the subject almost always reflects far more light than the fabric. There is nothing sneaky about photography, it is either sufficient to fool the eye or it isn't. It would be nearly impossible to see an Osmunda in nature like that anyway.

The cleaned up version:

Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Spring is springing all around here with warmish temps of 16 C/ 61F with thunder storms and torrential rain over night things are starting to look quite spectacular.

Trochodendron aralioides though slow growing it having multiple growth points should look good.

A few woodies as I like to call them are putting in an apperance.

and where I thought I had a bare patch of bare soil all these goodies show up do'nt you just love springtime. :D

Had to remove some of this growing all over the place but not an invasive weed as this is Paris polyphylla a very nice problem to have though growing in the lawn it is not.
Does anyone know if I slice this up will I get loads of plants and if so why is it so dam expensive.

Image :lol: :shock:

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next