The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Doryanthes palmeri ( Spear Lily ) 

Post Re: Crapes in NZ
Thanks. That makes it surprising they aren't a least a little more known in SE & SW England. You are warmer in summer than Cornwall, Scilly, et al., but about the same as London. In fact your nights are a bit cooler...but your days a bit sunnier, as I said. Perhaps it's also because you lack the spring frosts that some of the warmer summer (well, relatively) parts of the UK are known for. I'm reminded of seeing Peter Seabrook on the American show "Victory Garden" - its period of anglophilia in the late 80s corresponding closely to the burgeoning of my own interest in gardening - and of segments where he was in NZ cooing about how much better subtropical plants grew there.

Last edited by davidmdzn7 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Post Re: Doryanthes palmeri ( Spear Lily )
Hi I've been away without internet for the last week. Thanks to Aloeysius for the source information. Albey I'm a bit bemused about giving out details which could easily identify persons who don't choose to be part of this forum, so perhaps it is polite to say he lives about a Km from Hornby South on the Springs Road going south. Perhaps this is further inland and/or higher up than Christchurch 'proper'. I have some photos of the recent frost damage in his large and exotic rich garden (and I'm aware of the recorded lows until this last winter), but would not post them without his permission. What were your lows during the last months? And where are you in Christchurch. Did any native Cordyline australis suffer frost damage this year?

Cheers Boyos

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Marc H wrote:
Hi I've been away without internet for the last week. Thanks to Aloeysius for the source information. Albey I'm a bit bemused about giving out details which could easily identify persons who don't choose to be part of this forum, so perhaps it is polite to say he lives about a Km from Hornby South on the Springs Road going south. Perhaps this is further inland and/or higher up than Christchurch 'proper'. I have some photos of the recent frost damage in his large and exotic rich garden (and I'm aware of the recorded lows until this last winter), but would not post them without his permission. What were your lows during the last months? And where are you in Christchurch. Did any native Cordyline australis suffer frost damage this year?

Cheers Boyos

Hi Marc,
I might know who you are talking about ( I wont say it here though ) If he lives somewhere around the springs road area, It is more prone to heavier frosts than where i am. It can drop down to -7°c out there.
Where i am, ( East Addington ) I get down to -5°c ( -4°c this Winter ) - No Cordylines damaged in my area, but when i went out to visit a garden centre off springs rd, they had a Cordyline obtecta green goddess that was severely damaged due to cold this year ( This cordyline is established in the ground, but not that big, maybe 1.5m tall ) - My Cordyline obtecta green goddesses are pristine. I have 4-plants ( 3x in the ground and 1x in a pot ) - Also my Cordyline australis albertii's ( Similar to Torbay dazzler ) are also pristine.

Hottest Month
23.0°c / 13.0°c

Coldest Month
11.5°c / 3.0°c

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

I have Doryanthes palmeri which I grew from seed many years ago...now about 7 ft tall - still waiting for it to flower! Still, it's a handsome object even when not in flower!

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:41 pm

Has anyone had their D palmeri flower for them yet? I see it's been a few years for this posting, surely some good news has come since then!

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2