The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 3:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Tree ferns from spores 

Post Re: Raising tree ferns from spores
Eduard O wrote:
Hi Steve, I just informed him , and asked him this question, what other types cyathea species to find there... 

In theory, there should be the THREE native Alsophila types: Cyathea excelsa, Cyathea borbonica, Cyathea glauca. And, at the very least, invasive Cyathea cooperi in large numbers - the spore must be everywhere. There also seems to be some confusion about the possibility that Cyathea contaminans is present too... including suggestions that 'glauca' is in fact contaminans or a derivative sub-species. As far as I know, it's the confusing contaminans synonym 'Sphaeropteris glauca' that is responsible for this misconception. Cyathea glauca (an Alsophila) surely can't be the same species as Cyathea contaminans (a Sphaeropteris), can it? Er... can it???

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Steve Pope wrote:
invasive Cyathea cooperi in large numbers - the spore must be everywhere

Is C. cooperi only a problem as being invasive in spore banks in that the spore seems to contaminate every other species in the vacinity or is it a problem in its natural habitat as well?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:44 am

hilts wrote:
Is C. cooperi only a problem as being invasive in spore banks in that the spore seems to contaminate every other species in the vacinity or is it a problem in its natural habitat as well?

Don't suppose that the spore banks themselves are literally the problem. The contamination is most likely in dense multi-species fernery collections - cooperi spore will be present regardless of the actual species intended for harvest, and then will beat everything else to the punch when it comes to the germination pot. Don't know if it's an issue in habitat, but there won't be same overcrowding and so harvesting from single-species stands ought to be much more reliable.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:05 pm

I received an answer to my question of my acquaintance, the cyathea borbonica is a tree fern endemic to Réunion and generally found [ as Steve pointed ] olso Cyathea canaliculata.
He forgot to take a picture, and the spores leaves in a travel guide preserved, Anyway, I have paid more attention myself than I was also able to see it !

Gr. Eduard.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Eduard O wrote:
I received an answer to my question of my acquaintance, the cyathea borbonica is a tree fern endemic to Réunion and generally found [ as Steve pointed ] also Cyathea canaliculata.

Here is Cyathea borbonica ('canaliculata' is only an obsolete synonym, not an extra Reunion species) growing in the indoor fernery...

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:30 pm

Steve Pope wrote:

Interesting spp, looks like a Diplopterygium in pinna form.

9a
600km northwest of Diaoyu Island

Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:37 am

Hi, I have photographed this tree fern again, this variant cooperi as steve lodges him still brings Doubt from the man who harvested the spores in La reunion, it's a C.cooperi or maybe a C. borbonica like the hair very short and brown ?
I've looked at the images of this species and has smooth round spots on his trunk, no stipe as with most other types of Alsophila!

Gr. Eduard.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Your spore-propagated specimen can't possibly be borbonica, Ed - yours is very definitely a scaley Sphaeropteris, not an Alsophila...and looks suspiciously cooperi-like from where I'm sitting. The in-habitat photo, though, does look genuinely Alophila... and I think I can make out borbonica's distinctive 'wig' crown too.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve, I will inform him :wink:
Gr. Eduard.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:24 pm

Post Contamination...but not necessarily at source on La Reunion
Eduard O wrote:
Gr. Eduard.

It's quite likely your contact on La Reunion did correctly ID and harvest fertile borbonica fronds. But at some point in the process, you've nevertheless ended up germinating cooperi. How many individual plants did you grow on from the original spore pot, Ed? Are they all identical Sphaeropteris types?

I've noticed that a common though understandable propagating mistake is to always choose the largest and most atypically vigorous specimens to prick out from the first-stage germination pot. But that's playing right into cooperi's hands - if there are any spore floating around in your atmosphere they will win that race! They are the cuckoo in the nest and no other species can outcompete them under propagation conditions. Any genuine Alsophila babies in that pot will have been slower and smaller than the rogue Sphaeropteris, but still potentially identifiable even at an early stage.

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Post Re: Contamination...but not necessarily at source on La Reun
Steve Pope wrote:
Eduard O wrote:
Gr. Eduard.

[ How many individual plants did you grow on from the original spore pot, Ed? Are they all identical Sphaeropteris types?

An incubator with 24 plants Steve, there was a stranger in, but I think not a tree fern, will later place a picture.

Gr. Eduard.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 am

Do not think this is the right tree fern species, resembles a Diplazium Australe!

Gr. Eduard.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:11 pm

found another one, this looks more like it, this is still young but I fear its not the one, we will see!

Gr. Eduard.

Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:45 am

Eduard O wrote:
Do not think this is the right tree fern species, resembles a Diplazium Australe!

Gr. Eduard.

I will happily take this fern off your hands should you not want it, I'm having a hard time finding any Diplazium anywhere, if indeed it is a Diplazium?

Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:15 pm

hilts wrote:

I will happily take this fern off your hands should you not want it, I'm having a hard time finding any Diplazium anywhere, if indeed it is a Diplazium?

There is still a little cyathea behind this diplazium on the picture!

You find the plant here picture 3 and 4; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7266&start=180 I send a p.m.

Gr. Eduard.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next