The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 fern suggestion 

Post Re: fern suggestion
That is scarily fantastic. Or fantastically scary. Both, even.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks guys it's nice to know all my neighbours can't be right :roll:

I have rocks that develop similar moss and then the ferns grow into the moss without any soil straight onto the rock. I am hoping this will be the case in the future. Alex, I don't put anything to encourage the moss it grows on the hypertufa by itself. It's strange that some are so furry green and others are still grey. The growth tends to happen on the top of anything big....the reason why the very top is not as green is that I could not make my mind when I first made the arch on whether I wanted to attach an extension to the top but decided against it consequently adding the skulls a year later. I never considered putting any ferns in the ey sockets ( a sentence both of us will probably never say again)...but if i find any self seeded ferns I will try and see. Hopefully the moss will make it easier to establish ferns. Storm Doris knocked over an extremely heavy hypertufa pot causing some damage :( but for the life of me I can't see how it fell as is so heavy so begs the question of how i would balance a pot on top to get ferns to self seed below :?: still might give this some thought.

These skulls are a year ahead of the arch so hopefully might have this to look forward to next year

Next time i will take some blurry pics...it really pushes Kev's button :lol:

Mo

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:09 pm

themes wrote:
Thanks guys it's nice to know all my neighbours can't be right
Those, who are still left, you mean!? 8)

Well done, looks better than ever!

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:33 pm

I've waited for a while as I wanted to be sure. Things look promising with regards to establishing ferns. Perseverance has paid off it seems. The encouragement helped as I was going to give up. July and August gone the hotter months and ferns still alive. Ceterach albeit small are alive and I can see asplenium spores self seeded but tiny. I've plonked various small ferns into crevices and they are still alive. Not all survived but some are actually getting bigger. Self seeding plants like ivy (i may pull this out but promising that it's self seeded) and weeds . Hopefully I can build on this next year. The moss is getting thicker so I would hope now it can act as a medium for ferns to spore onto it and grow. Thanks for all your help guys. Will Keep updating hopefully with more good news

One image refuses to load :roll: Keeps saying internal server error. It's not the size of the image as I have bigger sized ones uploaded with these pics. I've tried moving the file to a different folder reuploaded with no success. I've renamed the file and failed . Not meant to be I guess.
success

Mo

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Site Admin

Wow nice Mo once you have that moss growing you have endless possibilties of getting ferns to establish.
Thanks for the update much appreciated

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3