The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Euphorbia mellifera on Madeira 

Post Euphorbia mellifera on Madeira
For my own interest and a lot of other people who I know like this plant, I have done some research on this plant as to why it is declining in its native habitat. I think one of the reasons for its decline is that it only grows in clearings and ravines where other trees are not found. It does not grow well in the shade of enclosed canopy forests, eventually declining and dies out.
However, where it does naturally occur in ravines, invasive species that are a problem on Maderia move into the space robbing it of light as the non native plants take over, such as Cytisus scoparius and Acacia species that are very quick growing in comparison with the Euphorbia especially on light soils. It would seem wherever the plant grows there is a constant threat.
Where it grows on free draining soils on slate bed cliffs, land and rock slides have an impact on the species on steep terrain, together with wind on the anchorage on the shallow roots on the cliffs, causing further decline. Apparently this is a problem especially on La Palma.
All this has an outcome on the affects of the plant being able to set seed. Any seedlings that do germinate are then seriously reduced in population by mice who like the young plants.
All this explains when I visited Maderia some time ago, I never found Euphorbia mellifera growing native. Gardeners look after there plants, give them space in good soils and are free to seed around. This does not happen in Maderia. Every Euphorbia is under threat and it is a constant fight for survival for the species. Conservation efforts are ongoing by Kew to establish populations. Lets hope botanists can save the Euphorbia from its natural home.

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Post Re: Euphorbia mellifera on Madeira
Nicest one around..
https://frustratedgardener.com/2016/03/ ... ifera-agm/

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:44 pm

Stan,

Nice pictures of some very healthy Euphorbia mellifera on your link. I really like the plant for just its leaves. My parents had one in a sheltered position which had grown to 2.5M in height. Had to take to pruning it to keep it under control. Do they grown well in and around your area?. They used to do really well in the south of France, in virtually frost free climate and hot summers.

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:05 pm

Here Laurence,Euphorbia lambii is whats usually seen. E.mellifera does look like some other shrub Euphorbs used in gardens..not sure if its E. mellifera.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:06 am

Stan,

Never seen Euphorbia lambii. But looks like a nice plant. It is classified as an annual here. Maybe in California it is perennial?. You seem to have the perfect climate for plants. Do the two trees, Jacaranda mimosifolia and Delonix regia grow in your area?. My two most favourite trees. Unfortunately not frost hardy in the UK. Jacaranda does grow in the south of France, but even mild winters of maybe -1C max, would be enough kill a young tree. Would like to pictures if you have any.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:10 pm

E.lambii can be a small tree here. Jacaranda are staples in the bay area. Delonix is not seen. I did grow one for three years outdoors in a pot. I think it was undepotted and last years rainy winter did it in.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:29 pm

There is much documentation of E. mellifera growing well under canopies. It seems to favour cool damp conditions over hot dry conditions. I've had euphorbia mellifera wilt in hot weather. Of course in open condition it develops a bushy habit but under canopy it gets wild and leggy.

Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]