The team | View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
 What's your plant of the moment? 

Post Re: What's your plant of the moment?
I like that Tom. Looks more like an epiphyte. Exotic.

Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:11 am

The cobra lilies just started to flower and are now my plant of the moment:

Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:32 pm

For me its Lonicera hilderbrandiana

Imagelonicera hilderbrandiana 009 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:15 pm
Profile WWW

Thurr - that one is a beauty. It is remarkable that this species remains fairly expensive, something like double most. I wonder if they are difficult from seed. All the other species I'd tried grew like weeds.

Charles - nice to see a Lonicera that is NOT L. japonica. I grew L. sempervirens in the states, another beautiful plant.

Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:19 pm
Profile WWW

My Platycerium superbum has sent out its first fertile leaf.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:30 am

Awesome Stan. I miss the glory days when I had two of these growing like gangbusters. Now I only have the P. bifurcatum and it is finally beginning to recover from last winter's deep freeze - honestly I'm just glad it is still alive!

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:31 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Tom,I've had thoughts of other Platyceriums..like P.andes. There are some cultivars of P.bifurcatum that could truly pass as the very tender species. I have P.bifurcatum and P.'lemoinii'..I'm waiting for the last to turn silver...hints at it so far.

I'm thinking of adding to the "tree lovers" some Nematanthus and related. I've looked online..some would do great here. One,actually grows small flowers dangling much like a Pitcher plants.
I might be out of the tree and shrub buying. Hence my interest on smaller jewels.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:51 pm

Without doubt my favourite plant at this time of year.. Toona Sinensis "Flamingo" In general I have two good months of changing colours particularly when Springs are cool. Looks nice against the backdrop of the blue Yucca and Nolina

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:11 pm

At the moment it's lots of things. But my eye has been caught today by the Leptospermum I bought a few years ago as the 'woolly manuka' from Trevenna Cross Nursery in Cornwall. I think it's Leptospermum lanigerum. I assume the fact that it's 'woolly' means that it is quite hardy compared to some. I have previously found the red and pink flowered scoparium variants shortlived. Mine is now about 12 feet tall and was not knocked back by the dire 2010 winter, when I lost previously hardy cordylines. Covered in its white flowers, beloved of bees like the rest of the Leptospermums:

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:32 pm

Martinnicklin wrote:
Well mine actually finished last week - Magnolia Athene. To me the most stunning, elegant and deliciously perfumed of them all. Some years hail gets it as soon as the flowers open, other years it is late frosts but this year it took my breath away and each day for a week after work, I raced to the bottom of the garden to enjoy its beauty and bury my nose in that exquisite scent. It's one of the gardening moments I live for.

Beautiful. And undamaged by the rain and winds we got here which made it a poor magnolia season for me. The Magnolia Campbellii 'Kew's Surprise', having surprised me with a couple of flowers for the first time last year, had at least a dozen buds, but they ended up pretty shredded. It came back from Trewithen many years ago, the single stem trained lovingly around the interior of the Peugeot 205 I had at the time.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:08 pm

ChrisW4 wrote:
That Abutilon's fantastic Kev, a fast grower?

The Geranium's been outside for 2 winters down to about -5 but we're fairly protected.

How does yours smell after rain?. I gave up maderense because of the awful smell of the damp stems of the flowers. I just stick to palmatum these days, because it self seeds everywhere! I'd never seen the smell commented on. I grew mine from seed in a greenhouse, it did have the very succulent stems and enormous flower head, but I've sometimes wondered whether it was a different species from the usual one.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:10 pm

Andy Martin wrote:
Without doubt my favourite plant at this time of year.. Toona Sinensis "Flamingo" In general I have two good months of changing colours particularly when Springs are cool. Looks nice against the backdrop of the blue Yucca and Nolina

What's your secret with this plant Andy? I have tried it twice - two large plants from different sources. New leaves emerged a gorgeous pink but then shrivelled and consequently over a few years the trees actually got SMALLER AND SMALLER (!!) until they produced no leaves at all - just a load of dead sticks. I'd love to be able to grow this. Do they need a particular soil type? I understood they should be easy to grow!!
Martin

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:05 pm

Most people thought this was a Dudleya when I posted it in spring. The label said Cotyledon teretifolia. "Wait until it flowers" they said. Well,the day is here. It SURELY is a Cotyledon. Only...on google images and reading the true C.teretifolia has yellow flowers and hairy or fuzzy leafs. This has neither.
Here it is today:

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:45 am

alpine wrote:
How does yours smell after rain?. I gave up maderense because of the awful smell of the damp stems of the flowers. I just stick to palmatum these days, because it self seeds everywhere! I'd never seen the smell commented on. I grew mine from seed in a greenhouse, it did have the very succulent stems and enormous flower head, but I've sometimes wondered whether it was a different species from the usual one.

To be honest, it's not something I've noticed. Hopefully it'll stop raining this afternoon so I can go out and check.
Did you get any pictures of yours?

Stan, that Cotyledon looks great. How much cold has it taken with you? Though I guess the damp here'd be more of an issue.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:18 am

ChrisW4 wrote:

To be honest, it's not something I've noticed. Hopefully it'll stop raining this afternoon so I can go out and check.
Did you get any pictures of yours?

Yes, it built up its trunk then produced this:

And then went into decline. I think I got a sort of side shoot spike the next year, but then it popped off completely.
I see it was 10 years ago!! Where are the years flying to?

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next